Competent persons scheme.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megaohm7

Reaction score
I've just applied online for an assessment with Elecsa. Time to get registered.!!.Will be waiting to be contacted for an assessment date. have to sort out the relevent paperwork that they will require. I have BRB,OSG and GN3 to hand. and my insurance of course..

The phone rang as I was typing out the post and unsually the wife didn't answer it before me!! She loves a good chat I was chatting to an electrician at my 2391 course last night who has recently been registered with Elecsa and he said that they send out a welcome pack with all the relevent information of the documentation that you need to have to hand on your assessment day. I have looked at the posts on here regarding the assessment and have found them very useful.

Experience makes you competent as well as the technical knowledge and qualifications. Everyone has to start from somewhere and I know that I'll never stop learning about this industry. That's what makes it interesting to me. As for the competent person bit, You still have to satisfy an assesser that you are safe and have enough knowledge to do the job competently and experience should make you better and quicker.

I think the title is very misleading. Being a member of any of the scams doesn't make anyone competent! IMHO.
But a level of 'competence' is required to join the 'scams' - regardless of how high you think that level is - therefore 'Competent Person Scam':D

You do have to know what you are doing to begin with when you have an assessment. I'm doing my 2391 practical exam the day before my assessment with Elecsa and if I get through all of that then I must be doing something right.

Im not saying you aren't competent, but being a member of a building control self notification scheme is not the same as a competent persons scheme membership. We all know people that are "part P" registered that are frankly, a danger, do we not?

Im not saying you aren't competent, but being a member of a building control self notification scheme is not the same as a competent persons scheme membership. We all know people that are "part P" registered that are frankly, a danger, do we not?
While what you are trying to say is correct but what you are actually saying is not. ADP refers to scams as "Part P competent person self-certification scheme".

Latest posts