Conduit around cylindrical structures

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit off topic but going back many years we used to do work in a grain mill where all switchgear was pressurised to keep the flour dust out. It was all pretty ropey & lossy, you could stand by the metal clad fittings and feel the draught where knock outs hadn't been blanked. Had a Paternoster lift too which used to scare the life out of me.

Ah Paternosters!...whats not to like?

used to get on the 'up side' on top,floor and travel over the top....scared the faeces out of the people waiting to go down on the other side

The flour mill one was at Rank Hovis McDougall in Andover. Just a series of trap doors in an open floor space from memory i.e. no shaft. Vaguely remember another in a hotel I think up't North somewhere. I always remember the "lift car" had no lights in it. Very disorientating! 

High alumina cement. It rusted the reinforcing causing the concrete to spelch away allowing more moisture in accelerating the rusting.

How do I know, we made it.

My finals had to change venues, the building was unsafe because of………… high alumina cement  :slap

Last edited by a moderator:
Paternosters , blast from the past ,  I remember them at Aston University ,   ran continuosly ,  no doors,  an open cage would appear often with people in , max three I think ,  you wait for an empty one and step on  .   Favourite comment to freshers was " Make sure you get off at 6 or you go over the top and come back upside down".

Well it worked sometimes.

They could certainly keep people moving ........until H& S had them stopped for good .

Back on topic ....who is paying for this expensive , labour intensive experiment?

Paternosters , blast from the past ,  I remember them at Aston University ,   ran continuosly ,  no doors,  an open cage would appear often with people in , max three I think ,  you wait for an empty one and step on  .   Favourite comment to freshers was " Make sure you get off at 6 or you go over the top and come back upside down".

Well it worked sometimes.

They could certainly keep people moving ........until H& S had them stopped for good .

Back on topic ....who is paying for this expensive , labour intensive experiment?

Council spec silo? 

FWIR you can get a ****e load of 1.5mm 6491x in a 20mm conduit, you need plenty of butter though...

:ph34r:

I work only on this site so the labour rate isn't really an issue and apart from a pyro, conduit is the second most satisfying work to do IMO. 

Maybe I should have been a plumber?  :facepalm:

OOhh  thats a good point Tony ,  imagine trying wind on a full length of curved 25mm tube ....and remember , back in the 14th edition  they only alllowed one running coupler per installation .

I'd imagine no one gives a carrott anymore but I'm sure that was the reg.

not sure what a running coupler is, but wouldn't you thread one end the same length as the coupler, wind it fully on, butt the next thread up to it then unwind the coupler onto the next piece?

that would be an accurate description of a running coupler... but you also use a locknut (usually milled ring type) before the coupler, which is then tightened against it to lock it into place

that would be an accurate description of a running coupler... but you also use a locknut (usually milled ring type) before the coupler, which is then tightened against it to lock it into place
Thanks, the half thread would be tight anyway, and the conduit isn't going to unwind itself, so no locknut I think.

Latest posts