Conduit around cylindrical structures

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmxrr

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking of running some 25mm galv around the inner skin of our large silo's for lighting. 

Problem is getting the bends spot on because I've got to make it up all outside and cart it in.

It requires lots of little small deg bends to get the arc right.

Apart from the usual way of eyeing it up, Is there a mathematical way of calculating the spacing and degree of the little bends? 

Cheers.

The circumference of the circle is pi (3.141....) x diameter.

decide how many bends you want per length, to work out the distance between bends

divide the circumference by the distance between bends = number of bends

divide 360 by the number of bends to get the angle of each bend

if you can, chose a distance between bends so that you start bending a length of conduit half that distance from the end, so that when joined, the joint is in the middle of a standard sized straight bit. If that makes sense.

We do a lot of these in railway arches. Forget maths. Just need an eye and bend each 'kink' a lot lot less than you think. 

And may the Lord have mercy on your soul .

I think I'd be looking at Pyro or similar TBH.

This is a wind up ....25mm steel conduit curving round a silo.!

Last edited by a moderator:
And may the Lord have mercy on your soul .

I think I'd be looking at Pyro or similar TBH.

Can be done easily. A man of your caliber should have no problem.  :B

Nope, I've done it before. Just a bit tricky this one as its all got to be bent and threaded on the floor outside.  

Why do you need 25mm ?    Thats a lot of lighting  I have to say.   What is gained by using 25mm steel conduit. I ask?

It reminds me of a ridiculous job we had to some years ago .    We used to do a lot of work at local hospitals and one was to rewire a remote admin building which was actually a 5 bed 1930s house within the hospital grounds , now used as offices.

Trouble was , the NHS standard specification didn't cover any work done in T&E  (  6242Y  etc)  and it was obviously beyond the realms of possibility to ammend that so.........  the house had to have the rubber T&E removed and  B/E Steel conduit installed flush ,in accordance with their standard Spec.  

Why not do it in stainless steel conduit for a laugh?

mind you, when silo is full will you even see the lights?.....i know little of the innards of a silo! The last one i saw contained an ICBM

are they the silo's near the end of the runway at Kerch towers near the horse wash? 

:innocent

Why not do it in stainless steel conduit for a laugh?

mind you, when silo is full will you even see the lights?.....i know little of the innards of a silo! The last one i saw contained an ICBM
They are large, approx 100m circumference and have a bund wall which is where the lighting will be going to allow for maintenance work on internal pipework.

No need to be Ex rated and I still prefer rigid conduit for these applications rather than copex personally.