conduit coupler?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicspark

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar any different or older methods of joining conduit other than with threaded ends and couplers?

I have come across some old conduit that has what I can best describe as a raised bevel at the end rather than a thread

never come across it before

you can get knock on couplers but these are not older they are used where u have no hope of getting stocks in there to cut a thread, older split rolled stuff had joiners and tees that just had a screw that gripped the conduit (a bit), thats all i have seen, and im not quite sure what a raised bevel is.

Could you not get a flaring/swaging tool that you hit down the bore that enlarged the end so that you could then slide one tube inside the other?

Think a pvc conduit coupler being formed in the end of the tube by hammering a specially shaped plug down the tube and stretching it then taking it out?

you can get knock on couplers but these are not older they are used where u have no hope of getting stocks in there to cut a thread, older split rolled stuff had joiners and tees that just had a screw that gripped the conduit (a bit), thats all i have seen, and im not quite sure what a raised bevel is.
I remember a similar type which I got told it was called slip conduit as the tees and joints slipped on to the conduit then a screw was tightened bringing the edges of tee/joint together

M107,

I carry these on my van, don't ask!

My comment relates to somewhere in the seriously din and dark pastseeing a piece of conduit formed like that on the end without the thread in it?

M107,I carry these on my van, don't ask!

My comment relates to somewhere in the seriously din and dark pastseeing a piece of conduit formed like that on the end without the thread in it?
The building in question has been empty for over 30 years

Can I assume that these would give the conduit no IP rating?

Can I assume that these would give the conduit no IP rating?
And probably no good to be used as the CPC either?

Having said that I did a CU change on a conduit wired house a while back where the conduit was the CPC and the CPC tested okay, but a visual inspection in the loft showed the couplers were those open ones that just clamp around the outside of the conduit. I was genuinely surprised it tested okay for earth continuity.

Dave,

Just a Q, i guess you used a low current low resistance ohm meter, like a multi function etc.?

Do you think that the connections would have held up under the high current test which seems to have lost favour these days?

BTW does anyone have a high current earth tester?