Confusing Switch Terminals

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedQuToxic

Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently at the first stages of the 2365 L2 course. I’ve been wiring up one way, two way and intermediate switches. I understand how the wiring works when the switch has COM and the top terminal and then L1 & L2 at the bottom, but the only switches my test site seems to have are old style COM and 1Way terminals at the top and 2Way and LOOP terminals at the bottom.

Could someone explain the difference between these old switches and the new? I have attached pictures of the circuit that was shown to us, I understand how the intermediate is wired, but I don’t understand how the first and third switch is wired (this circuit has two ceiling roses)

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5884.jpeg
    IMG_5884.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5883.jpeg
    IMG_5883.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5885.jpeg
    IMG_5885.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5888.jpeg
    IMG_5888.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
The "loop" doesn't play a part in the circuit switching as such. With switches it is normally used for the neutrals which are now commonly connected through switches for future smart options.

One of the black conductors at the intermediate isn't identified as with the greys.