Connecting An Induction Hob

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neilpick

Reaction score
Hi 

I'm looking to install a new induction hob rated at 10.8kw that I calculate at circa 46 amps. I can get a new cable from consumer unit to hob location (approx 3m run) and have a spare slot on consumer unit. I Have the following questions:

1.  Can I apply diversity to this type of hob thereby giving a current rating of approx 21amps and allowing me to use 6mm cable and a 32A breaker or do I ignore diversity and go for a higher breaker / 10mm cable?

2.  Do I need to use RCD side of consumer unit or none-RCD side? The way I understand things is that if I connect hob using a combined 45A cooker switch / socket I use the RCD side but if I use just a cooker switch only without the socket, I can use the non-RCD side? ( my spared slot on the CU is on the non-RCD side)

many thanks

1. If its domestic then you can apply diversity

2.  Asssuming you are using twin and earth, then the cable would need to be rcd protected if buried in plaster,  or if no socket outlet is incorporated in the cooker control switch and your cable is surface mounted then no rcd required.

Cable will main go under flooring from consumer unit then up timber stud wall (behind kitchen units) to switch then back down stud wall,  under floor again to a central island where hob is located. 

thanks

But read the manufacturer's instructions just incase it states it needs an rcd

Last edited by a moderator:
Re diversity - have been reading on other sites where people state you cannot apply diversity to an induction hob in the way you can to a traditional electric cooker / oven?

Re diversity - have been reading on other sites where people state you cannot apply diversity to an induction hob in the way you can to a traditional electric cooker / oven?
Post #5 by Samson makes a very important point. What do the manufactures instructions say? this should be the first point of reference before any forum. Because although our members are very good, they may not be aware of any specific instructions by the manufacturer of your product.

Doc H.

Latest posts