Consumer Contracts

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just been advised that as of 13/06/2013 new legislation comes into play which affects (along with lots of other businesses) anyone selling services.

Now, we don't use contracts, always having done things the 'old fashioned' way - a verbal agreement and handshake and to this day, after 7 years in business we have not had any issues from customers. However, If I am reading the legislation correctly the customer will have up to 12 months to request a refund without a contract.

Do you guys use contracts? Does anyone have a sample contract they could send me please? I am a little concerned that this is yet another nail in the coffin of the hard-working spark, just another piece of ridiculous paperwork to go along with everything else we have to do (method statements, risk assessments etc etc). I feel sure that if I ask customers to sign contracts before every job we do it is going to be a hard thing to implement and 'Dave' from down the pub didn't ask me to sign one so I'm going with him!

Thoughts greatly appreciated!

strictly you shouldn't do anything without a contract, it's part of the legislation designed to stop rogue door to door salesmen. Anything sold to a consumer in their home, ie you go around a do a quote, has a legal 7 day withdrawal period, and if you don't give suitable paperwork, the customer can withdraw 6 months later (think the time period is actually indefinite) and demand their money back even after you have done the job to their satisfaction.

Yeah the new legislation is a 12 month period. Been advised to include on the T&C's text that says 'by agreeing and accepting these T&C's you waive your right to the 14 day cancellation period'. Apparently that stops any legal recourse.

We do nothing verbal or handshake, everything no matter how large or small is quoted or estimated for, we then request in writing or email an acceptance or instruction to proceed.

All have terms and conditions attached.

Last edited by a moderator:
But isn't a verbal contract a legal thing?

you SAY I will do this, for that much, and when the buyer agrees, they have entered into a contract with you?

Yeah the new legislation is a 12 month period. Been advised to include on the T&C's text that says 'by agreeing and accepting these T&C's you waive your right to the 14 day cancellation period'. Apparently that stops any legal recourse.
but such practices are also considered 'bad form' albiet legal if you explain it in full. personally when I can be bothered to do things correctly, I like the delay, it allows a chance to plan properly..

Latest posts