Consumer Unit Replacement

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIP IOM

Reaction score
Hi again

Up until now I've replaced CU's and completed a random Z's on, mainly socket circuits and the odd light fitting, issued a EIC stating "full periodid inspection NOT carried out (recommended)" I queried if this was OK with our ECA tech rep when we first started testing and certing and Part P'ing over here app 2 yrs ago, he said as long as you state what you have and haven't done on your cert you're OK.

Just taken delivery yesterday of the ESC CU replacement in domestic premises document and it states that every R1+R2 must be checked and every Zs plus the usual insulation/Ze etc.

I take it that you are all working to this already???

The reason I'm ranting is I tried this format today T + C'ing a job I've been working on for about 6 months (2 X 10 way CU's replaced plus other MW's) it took me the whole day just to complete the required tests (just got in), 20 ccts and I'm knackered and need wine (customer pi....sed off).

Why do we need to do R1+R2's when we're doing Zs's for a CU change and is this doc a legal requirement?

How long do you guys allow for a ,say, 10 way CU change + bonding + earth upgrade + T+C'ing? my guess after today would be at least 2 days if you don't find anything wrong.

Phew got wine now,calming down:

:Y

Yes that is what (I would hope at least) we are all doing. Your 2 day guess is not far off the mark for a 10way with no issues (but there are always issues ;) ).

Part P is a legal requirement and one way of achieving that is following BS7671 that does require all the tests you describe on every circuit. If its not performed or has failed testing it should not be connected to the new CU and energised "just for tonight".

If it's in the guidelines of your scheme provider, then you have to abide by their guidlines or move to a scheme provider that doesn't require those tests.

As far as BS7671 is concerned, you only need to test what you have installed, and then only the tests that are relevant.

I always test each circuit before connection to a new CU.

Then I issue an EIC for the cu change with all the readings in the certificate.

I find this way I am sure each circuit is ok for connection and that my job has been done fully.

It does take time, I can do a 10 or 12 way domestic CU change with all testing done in a day, and I thought I could do a 32 circuit 3ph in a day but I was wrong :_|

It did take me 2 days for that one but all tests where carried out fully.

The only advise I can give you is to allow extra time for changes and testing, that way you dont end up rushing the testing and get frustrated.

I lost money on the 3ph board change because I thought I was clever and could do it in a day, but I know for next time :)

cheers guys as always good advice

We're pretty much testing virgins over here. The job i was on today was just a bit of a b....stard, lighting ccts all thro jb's (somewhere????) so how do you find end of cct for R1 +R2 etc etc, test every switch and every light!!!!

I think we were just a bit of extra annual revenue for ECA they handlled our (diluted i think) Part P roll-out, then backed off and took the dosh. Their tech people seem to treat us differently to their usual UK mainland crew.

Also how can you ensure that you've covered it all (socket behind dresser/wardrobe, light in cupboard (lamp blown) etc etc. Guess you guys have been dealing with this for years. As said before any advice appreciated (quote for next CU change starts at 2 days min)

The end of a lighting circuit is relatively easy to find but does require some dismantling.

If you unscrew all the ceiling roses you will find loop in loop out on all but the last one.

If you cant, or the circuit is not designed this way, then testing at the nearest (probable) and then at intervals, will normaly show in which direction the circuit is installed.

If you have the time, you should try to test at each point, on a radial circuit the readings will get higher and higher the highest being the last in the circuit.

As far as BS7671 is concerned, you only need to test what you have installed, and then only the tests that are relevant.
You have modified every circuit as you have changed the characteristics of the protection on them so every circuit needs testing.

You have modified every circuit as you have changed the characteristics of the protection on them so every circuit needs testing.
I thought I was supposed to be the argumentative one.

Any chance of a Regulation to back up your statement?

As said before with British standards my part p provider we only have to verify earth fault loop is at a high enough level to trip circuit breaker so you have really got to test each item of equipment to ensure it complies. I don't understand why you need to do r1 +r2 you did not install cabling and I think you are making work for yourself any way the loop test is better than r1 +r2 surely. Now I do do insulation tests so I can find the fault before I install circuit and it strikes me I always get them and the other thing that needs checking is you are installing a ring and not a broken circuit.

Yes i know the obvious things to look for (res getting higher the further away from CU etc etc) but I guess I've had the "luxury" of not doing it for so long, as have the IOM customers and they've got used to the prices not including an extra day or so for testing.

A 10 way CU change + earthing (poss TT) and bonding + T+C in one day wow!!! I think I used to work days like that a LONG time ago. :Y :Y:Y:Y:Y:Y

feel much better now

In para 10.2 of said doc it states the pre req tests and item 1 is " a continuity test of CPC tof each cct to the point or accessory furthest fronm CU and to each accessible exposed conductive part"

I thought I was supposed to be the argumentative one.Any chance of a Regulation to back up your statement?
So you think by changing the characteristics of a protective device does not constitute modification of the circuit?

So you think by changing the characteristics of a protective device does not constitute modification of the circuit?
if you put in a rcbo for an mcb then it would so is it not the same when you change a cu?

Here's a thought,

If you don't get the CU change plus relevant testing done in

a day - what do you do??

Tell the customer they've got no electric until you return the next

day to test?

You can't possibly re-energise the installation without completing

all relevant tests:)

Then prioritise circuits. Work on ones they need like Kitchen to stop freezer defrosting and lights so they can see.

That sounds cheap, if we're talking at least 2days plus (usually RCBO's) gear I was thinking in the region of 900/1k ish.

I have been charging

That sounds cheap, if we're talking at least 2days plus (usually RCBO's) gear I was thinking in the region of 900/1k ish.I have been charging

Latest posts