Contactor For Light Switching

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iggifer

Reaction score
I have 6 230v downlights in my room, on a two way cct, I would like to be able to switch one independently of the other 5, as a 'night time reading light'.

I obviously could just add a second two way switch purely for that one light, however due to the room layout it would be annoying to switch both the new switch and main switch to have all 6 on. Also, I couldn't fit another 3C+E down the main switch chase (and I don't want to chase the wall) Second switch (and new switch location is in conduit so no probs there)

So, presumably the simplest way to achieve what I'm after is to use a Contactor; this is what I've come up with so far:

Contactor with 1 NO and 1 NC, feed from Switch 2 controlling the coil, feed from Switch 2 through the NO and from Switch 2 through the NC. I have attached a diagram, and I could use a 4 pole rather than a 2-Pole to switch the Neutrals if it's better practice.

contactor.jpg

Would appreciate input on this, have only used contactors for really basic stuff in the past, heaters coming on with lights etc. And if it plain wouldn't work, feel free to be blunt.

Accessibility of JB's isn't an issue as it's in the loft, which is boarded, existing boxes for the ltg cct are screwed to the board, contactor would just add a third box (or maybe 1 larger box)

How about this.

Put a 3 core down your conduit to the switch and fit a 2 way switch.

Now, connect the feed to the night light to common and the supply from the other lights to L1 and a perm supply to L2

Therefore leave your switch in the down position and your main room switch operates as normal, when all the lights are off you switch the second switch over to the perm feed and your light comes on.

so, so, so, much simpler. In reality I think it might take less time to actually wire up than it took me to write that post.

Thanks

You would still have the issue of the bringing the light on with the others fir normal use, unless wisebox has common, nc and no.

Wise box is a nice idea, but I think prohibitively expensive. 3C+E idea will only cost me a 2G 2Way switch, contactor idea would cost an extra

How about this.Put a 3 core down your conduit to the switch and fit a 2 way switch.

Now, connect the feed to the night light to common and the supply from the other lights to L1 and a perm supply to L2

Therefore leave your switch in the down position and your main room switch operates as normal, when all the lights are off you switch the second switch over to the perm feed and your light comes on.
This method works PERFECTLY. Thankyou

How about this.Put a 3 core down your conduit to the switch and fit a 2 way switch.

exactly what ive done at my house on the stairs - i have LED lights on the side of the stairs, which come on with langing light, and another switch to work just the LED's

Hi was wondering

If anybody could supply a drawing of this set up please as I'm interested in the same scenario myself ??

thanks for looking hopefully await ur replies cheers

To be honest it's easier to describe in words

Using a piece of three core + earth, connect one to the lamp's live fitting, one to the unswitched live supply and one to the permanent supply.

It doesn't matter which cores go where, but remember which went were and sleeve them all brown

Then in the 2 way switch:

Light Fitting - Common

Switched Live - L1

Perm Live - L2

Latest posts