Continuity and insulation resistance test

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris83

Reaction score
Got my 2330 206 practical next week and I'm still kind of stuck on testing. It is slowly beginning to come together but I could do with some help.

We need to use 4 sockets (doubles i believe) and 3 switches to a ceiling rose, using 3 core and cpc and MICC cable. Only 2 tests that we are required to do is the continuity test and the Insulation resistance test. Could do with knowing the most absolute easiest, dunces way of doing this!!

The tests follow pretty standard procedures which is described in all the on site guides and IEE guidance note 3.

Just remember to do the continuity testing first, and remember to test two way switches so that you include all the wires on the lighting circuit.

For the insulation tests make sure the lamps are removed before.

For the sockets you will need to do end to end on each cable and record the results

the lighting is a radial and would require a temp connection from the eath to the outgoing live to test r1=r2.

Above all remember your safe isolation procedures, and don't pannick.

Remember, Can I Please Leave (Continuity, Insulation Resistance, Polarity, Loop Impedance).

Ian.

I haven't got an onsite guide. I don't think you can take them in with you anyway. I never know at Doncaster college. They don't tell you f*** all!! Failed my 202 today. Everything I was told about this test wasn't even on the exam and most people failed it. Not too worried. I don't need a piece of paper to prove that I can be a successfull electrician.

My comiserations, Chris. :(

I don't need a piece of paper to prove that I can be a successfull electrician.
I'll think you'll find you might?!

Just work as hard as you can going through stuff in your own time. You need BRB and an OSG as a minimum. Get some other books too. I know times are hard but the best thing to invest in is your future.

:|

Good luck

My comiserations, Chris. :( I'll think you'll find you might?!

Just work as hard as you can going through stuff in your own time. You need BRB and an OSG as a minimum. Get some other books too. I know times are hard but the best thing to invest in is your future.

:|

Good luck
I didn't mean it in that way! :D I mean, I know I need proof I have qualified, but I know I can be a success! Just wish the college was much better. They are even charging for resists now. Its like, if you had taught us better in the first place, more people might have passed! :(

good luck to you mate, i did mine few weeks ago, it is hard work and a very long day. Have you got the red amicus bs7671 and yellow tesing book, it takes you through the testing step by step and you can take them in with you. we were told at the start we HAD to have them and they have proven to be very useful. think positive and stay positive!!!!

I didn't mean it in that way! :D I mean, I know I need proof I have qualified, but I know I can be a success! Just wish the college was much better. They are even charging for resists now. Its like, if you had taught us better in the first place, more people might have passed! :(
I have to agree with you on this one. I will not bore you with the details but!

Do not get disheartened what you have had is a hiccup and nothing more, I strongly believe that if you want to be an electrician you will be.

All the classroon stuff is basic theory and to some extent not in context with the on site jobbing. This is not a fault of the instructors they have to follow the set guidlines which I feel are now somewhat outdated.

However the training as worked so far so it must be ok.

Remember whenever you have any test read the question properly, discount the obvious red herrings and your left with the only practical answer.

I haven't got an onsite guide. I don't think you can take them in with you anyway. I never know at Doncaster college. They don't tell you f*** all!! Failed my 202 today. Everything I was told about this test wasn't even on the exam and most people failed it. Not too worried. I don't need a piece of paper to prove that I can be a successfull electrician.
Should of gone to North Notts :p

2330 up at the Shireoaks units, We have Dave Williams for the course. Only other tutor we see is Andy Dean who takes the other class up there.

As you will be working in a small area, when testing the lighting circuit you could measure just R2 (c.p.c.) from the consumer unit to the furthest point as the leads will probably be long enough to reach! However by linking the phase and c.p.c. together at the consumer unit and going to the last light, you then test between the c.p.c. and the switched live. This method (R1 + R2) has the advantage of allowing you to test the functionality of the switching arrangement at the same time and proves the switches are in the phase conductor (polarity).

When testing the the ring final circuit, start by testing end to end (L-L, N-N, c.p.c.-c.p.c.) before testing using the figure 8 method (L in-N out, N in-L out and test at all sockets followed by L in - c.p.c. out, c.p.c. in - L out) the final reading is your R1+R2 and should calculate out as the live end to end + c.p.c. end to end added together divided by 4.

Follow this with the insulation resistance tests (remeber to operate switches to test strappers).

hope this makes sense!!! good luck

Last edited by a moderator: