Convert two houses into one

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkJ

Reaction score
Hi

I am quoting for a job where two houses are being knocked into one dwelling and the owner wants the electrics for the two houses to be combined into one electrical system.

The job is probably a bit too ambitious for me alone to complete in a reasonable time frame.

Are any of you guys who are based around the High Wycombe area after some extra work?

i'm not in your area but if i was this would be a simple enough job to take on.

if you have a spec' it would be interesting to see it so we can mull over whether one supply would be feasible or adequate.

are you simply converting existing installations into one?

or is it a full rewire of both houses?

How big are the properties?

e.g. if say two small two-up two down... very small gardens, combined they aren't going to be that big.. and may be ok on one supply...

But if already both larger properties with big gardens & external requirements.. possibly may be advantages to retaining two supplies.

What are the current supplies?

Fuse rating,

Earth type etc.?

If you were more local I'd be willing to assist, but IMHO I reckon you could suss it yourself. :) ;)

It just needs a bit of careful planning and thought assessing realistic max demand.

:)

Not sure about the spec. I am viewing the job tomorrow. Will report back then.

HiI am quoting for a job where two houses are being knocked into one dwelling and the owner wants the electrics for the two houses to be combined into one electrical system.

The job is probably a bit too ambitious for me alone to complete in a reasonable time frame.

Are any of you guys who are based around the High Wycombe area after some extra work?
Hello sparkj I am near High Wycombe but am stacked out with work at present. What is the timescale of the job.

Batty

One other quick question..

I presume you are confident and competent to do a "normal" single rewire?

If yes, then its just a bit like doing two side by side. ;)

How big are the properties?e.g. if say two small two-up two down... very small gardens, combined they aren't going to be that big.. and may be ok on one supply...

But if already both larger properties with big gardens & external requirements.. possibly may be advantages to retaining two supplies.

What are the current supplies?

Fuse rating,

Earth type etc.?
These are important points. I worked on 2 purpose built flats in one building once that fas fed from a 3 phase cable from DNO so both flats were on separate phases. You may want to check that too as I'm sure DNO may have something to say about load distribution if you switch "half a house" (i.e. one of the old flats) from one phase to another.

Ian.

These are important points. I worked on 2 purpose built flats in one building once that fas fed from a 3 phase cable from DNO so both flats were on separate phases. You may want to check that too as I'm sure DNO may have something to say about load distribution if you switch "half a house" (i.e. one of the old flats) from one phase to another. Ian.
Thank you Ian for highlighting this important safety consideration.

Doc H.

Same phase would be good otherwise you could end up with 400V line-line in the house.

Ian.