Converting 2 Gang Wall Socket To Fit Wall Heater

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Doc, all that is well and good, but the OP is DIY, so we need a workable and most importantly SAFE solution for them that they can go with.

Hi there,

I need to fit a wall heater in my lounge. Reading the installation instruction it states:

"A means of disconnection must be incorporated in the fixed wiring of the premises in accordance with the wiring rules. The supply circuit to the heater must incorporate a double pole isolating switch having separation of at least 3mm."

My house has recently (within the last 4 years) and have a 2 gang wall socket about 50cm from where the heater is to be fitted. 

I was thinking that I would remove the double wall socket (including the double gang metal back box) and install two singles (a new double single gang metal back box) utilising the same wiring. After this I would be able to install a single fused isolation switch with flex outlet (to heater) and a single wall socket next to it for general use.

Is this possible and legal? Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Tris

Yes Doc, all that is well and good, but the OP is DIY, so we need a workable and most importantly SAFE solution for them that they can go with.

Quite so Sidewinder, but just because someone is DIY, (i.e not formally qualified processional electrician), does not mean they are not capable of cutting a back box into a wall. I know of persons such as plasterers, builders, joiners, plumbers etc. who are very practical with tools for cutting into walls, but would be classed as DIY when it comes to electrics. reading the OP's initial question, it wasn't on how difficult it was to sink a back box in, it was on the legality on possibility. If the OP is confident in the work he describes in his fourth paragraph, then by all means he can legally go ahead and do it. A DIY person is just as capable of messing up the wiring of a plug top as a fused spur. Just because its a plug does not necessarily mean it will be a SAFE solution. I am sure you have seen just as many dodgy DIY plug tops as I have?

Doc H.

Quite so Sidewinder, but just because someone is DIY, (i.e not formally qualified processional electrician), does not mean they are not capable of cutting a back box into a wall. I know of persons such as plasterers, builders, joiners, plumbers etc. who are very practical with tools for cutting into walls, but would be classed as DIY when it comes to electrics. reading the OP's initial question, it wasn't on how difficult it was to sink a back box in, it was on the legality on possibility. If the OP is confident in the work he describes in his fourth paragraph, then by all means he can legally go ahead and do it. A DIY person is just as capable of messing up the wiring of a plug top as a fused spur. Just because its a plug does not necessarily mean it will be a SAFE solution. I am sure you have seen just as many dodgy DIY plug tops as I have?

Doc H.
do you know my brother?

he's a yard foreman in a concrete plant, FLT etc, can he fit a plug top?  :slap

he has problems changing a lamp,,,,,,,,,

The Op can legally do any electrical work in his own home.

IMHO, if he just fits a plug top to the heater, & leaves the fixed install alone, then IMHO, it will be the safest option...

Sounds good to me. So how would the new box be wired? From the side from the 2 gang sockets?
TristanM hopefully by reading all of the various comments you will have established there are numerous ways you can achieve your objective that are all perfectly legal, possible, safe and acceptable. A fused spur can be spurred off the socket providing its is not already a spur off a ring circuit. If you are going to work on the fixed wiring, remember to isolate the circuit(s) you are working on. But also remember, Electricity can kill a healthy adult in less than half a second! If you have any doubts please get professional help.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
OnOff - This sounds like a great idea, would I be able to wire the single box from the 2G within the regs?

Thanks again all.
Yes, assuming the existing 2G is on a ring and not a spur itself as said above. Then you would feed the FCU from the back of the 2G socket. Likely you would then have 3 x Live (Line), 3 x Neutral 3 x Earth (CPC) in the back of the 2G  so no doubling back on the copper there!

Getting the old box out neatly takes a bit of practice and take care not to damage the existing cabling - assuming it's T&E and not conduit etc. Score the wallpaper with a Stanley, nice sharp bolster to extend the hole for the bigger socket. Depends where the knockouts are in the new box too as to whether they line up so you might find you have to extend the existing hole either side rather than just one. And don't forget to grommet the knockout holes too.

Then consider how long it will take YOU to do this, that the power needs to be off with the missus possibly moaning and you might just go with a plug top for now and leave it until the Summer!

:lol:

Pilot Wire Connection

The BLACK wire is designed to carry a signal from slot in or wall

mounted Dimplex programmers. If, however a programmer is not

being used, the pilot wire should be isolated in accordance with

the current IEE Wiring Regulations.

IMPORTANT - DO NOT connect the BLACK pilot wire to earth.

Care should be taken with the installation of pilot wire(s) as when

switching to background (set back) they become energised at

240V although only at a current less than 100mA. In every case

a suitable means of isolation must be provided for the pilot wire

and marked to indicate that two sources of supply may be present

at the heater.

Where pilot wires are installed separately from the heater final

sub-circuit they should be protected, double insulated and carry

their own integral earth continuity conductor

Info from the earlier link given says this heater has a 4th black pilot wire in the supply flex..

If going down the plug top option make sure you don't go connecting this black wire to anything !

Guinness

Last edited by a moderator:
Great guys thanks very much. I get it both will suffice, but fitting an additional single box is checks all the boxes where a plug will more than do. If I fit the 1+2G box suggested by OnOff do I just spur from the double socket sideways into the single FSU that I will be fitting?

Ignore my question. My mobile did not refresh the page this morning. OnOff thanks so much for your answer! Thanks again all, I believe that I am on my way! You all have been unbelievable!

Status
Not open for further replies.