Cooker Outlet And Induction Hobs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revor

Reaction score
1.Where is the best position to locate a cooker outlet for a built in oven.

2. The OSG states that a 30 or 32 A circuit is ok for cookers rating up to 15kw (which is a pretty high load) the circuit no doubt accounted for by diversity.

However does this still hold for induction hobs e.g 7.2 kw which I am told on start up come on full load!. According to the OSG an oven of up to another 7.5 kw could also be connected to the same supply and depending on cable ref method could be wired in 4mm. Does not make that much sense.

1: ideally, best not locate it inside the oven

2: all heating elements start up 'on full load' but the advntage of induction hobs is many can be connected in a way that it will limit the total power being used if required

Not a particularly helpful reply thought might have had some valid suggestions. Options I have considered are on the wall above the unit, on the wall in line with the "hole" in the back of the housing and in the plinth space below the cabinet but this latter one is not particularly accessible. A friend who sells electrical appliances and often has to wire new ones in suggested leaving the supply cable dangling approximately where the unit will be then fit a surface mounted box within the housing somewhere and making the connection there. That does not seem particularly neat to me. Will be having LABC arrange first fix inspection soon and want it to be a "proper" job.

Personally i would not think that LABC will,give a flying shi'ite where the outlet is.

The regs say the isolator must be readily accessible....so NOT atbthe back of a cupboard

I may well be wrong and somebody will,be along shortly who knows far less than me ( which is not saying much) to,prove me wrong!

Will,it bother me?

Will,it f

I Shall,let the dear reader decide

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally i would not think that LABC will,give a flying shi'ite where the outlet is.

The regs say the isolator must be readily accessible....so NOT atbthe back of a cupboard

I may well be wrong and somebody will,be along shortly who knows far less than me ( which is not saying much) to,prove me wrong!

Will,it bother me?

Will,it f

I Shall,let the dear reader decide
I was sent to do an EICR on a new development not that long ago after the electrical contractor went bust at the end of the job, snagging didn't happen and generally everyone fell out with everyone one.

I pulled up hob isolators installed behind a 1m wide pan drawer. My report ended up in front of the consultant who had spec'ed the job and his response was he agrees with everything except that. The reason being...as its for isolation and not emergency switching. I'm sorry, but if I have a pan overheat, I want the isolator above and to the side where I can bloody well reach it!

I was sent to do an EICR on a new development not that long ago after the electrical contractor went bust at the end of the job, snagging didn't happen and generally everyone fell out with everyone one.

I pulled up hob isolators installed behind a 1m wide pan drawer. My report ended up in front of the consultant who had spec'ed the job and his response was he agrees with everything except that. The reason being...as its for isolation and not emergency switching. I'm sorry, but if I have a pan overheat, I want the isolator above and to the side where I can bloody well reach it!
I see what you are saying but it is not emergency switching.

Apologies if  my last submission was not clear I  was not talking about the isolator as that needs to be accessible and within 2m of the appliance. I meant the cooker outlet plate  in which the connection to the cooker lead is made.. The ovens in question (to be purchased) are prewired with a lead of 1.5 metres so obviously the outlet plate needs to be fairly close to the oven. Both  ovens will have their own  independent supply as the main cooker switch will be too far away from the furthest oven to comply with the 2 metre rule, to combine the ovens (3.5kw each) on the same radial supply. The induction hob will also have its own independent supply making 3 radial cooker circuits in total. Hope that clarifies  my query. Thank for your assistance.

I'm not understanding the question, or the answer is too obvious.

the cooker outlet plate goes behind the oven at the back of the recess it fits into.

Many thanks Pro Dave you understand the question and the obvious answer. It is where I would instinctively put it and it is where I have already channelled the wall to receive the back box and conduit. My friend confused things for me, as seeing as he supplies and wires  in replacement cookers I asked him where typically he finds the outlets. His answer advising me to locate the outlet elsewhere in the housing I did not think was a god idea hence my question to this forum.

I'm not understanding the question, or the answer is too obvious.

the cooker outlet plate goes behind the oven at the back of the recess it fits into.
As PD says

....think about it1.5 m flex.... If it is NOT sirectly behind then howmare you going to pull it out?

Unless it is like the ones i have seen in an adjacent cupboard,,cable/flex pulled so,tigh Yehudi Menuen could get a tune out of it....AND it had tombe disconnected BEFORE oven could be pulled out. F convenient for fault finding

Curse my fat fingers and this ipad