Cooker Switch close to Taps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intamixx

Reaction score
I've just purchased a property and require an EICR report. The previous owners fitted the kitchen themselves by the look of it and the estate agents have mentioned that the cooker switch is too close to the kitchen taps. Please see attached picture. Both switches are required to come down in order for the electric cooker to function. I'm guessing this would show up as an electrical hazard in an EICR report?
Could I put a waterproof ip65 wall mounting over it to make it splashproof? Something like in attached image. Or maybe a sheet of clear perspex that is hinged to allow access when needed.
If not, what would you recommend I do without being too destructive?
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks.
230_150_87mm_Waterproof_Plastic_Enclosure_Electr.jpg.921df8a518b15f5217560317a9e2318d.jpg
DSC_1233.jpg.32bbe6bd179f3d76288f228ea61a5b6b.jpg

Welcome. 

That is poor. The switch is not the concern.  It is the plug socket that is a huge concern. 

The box you suggested will be of no use if the socket remains in place. What you need to do is find an electrician that can move that to a more appropriate place. A bit of mini trunking surface and a patch job will look far better than the box you propose anyway. 

I'd be inclined to take the cupboard off the wall, make a small incision and pull cables up and out, extend and run in trunking at level under cupboard across to a more suitable position. Is it a stud wall or solid? 

That just about sums up kitchen fitters. The final straw being they left the CCU on the wall, tiled around it (leaving it recessed) then put some edging round the tile edges surrounding it. I doubt you could actually unscrew it from it's back box without at least ripping off those edging strips.

In the real world, unless you get a child to do your washing up, no harm will come if you don't actually use the socket, and who ever turns the cooker switch off unless you are doing maintenance? Plug in one of those (much hated by some) socket protectors to reinforce the point it's not to be used.

To move it and re do it properly means wrecking the tiles and re tiling.

I would hang something in front of it, a small picture behind glass in a frame?

Of course if it's going to be a rental property then you really need to move it with all the upheaval and making good that entails, as you can't trust a tenant not to be stupid enough to used it and then drop the other end of a flex into the washing up water. the suggestion to keep it and hide it is only if it's your own house and all occupants are sensible.

Who says you need an EICR on the property and why?

If both switches have to come down for the cooker to work you have another problem. The socket should be independent from the cooker switch.

One way around the cooker switch query , is to get an electrician to connect the supply and feed in a maintenance  free joint and enclosure,then he could probably work a more practical and pleasing job from utilising the area around the cooker outlet area. This is if there is room of course.

A tiler or decorator will be able to sort the aesthetics.

I should have added , I am aware of safe zones and not suggesting that no evidence of the wiring be obliterated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The socket is on a solid wall and the outlet to connect the electric cooker sits directly below the socket a few centimeters above the floor.

The EICR report is required as the property will be let out.  The estate agents have requested this.

I quite like the idea of joining the cables permanently in the back box and then pull the lower cable to inside the cupboard below preferably to the front, locate new switch then take a feed out to cooker. 

Put a blank plate over existing box them out a picture of the kids/family over the blank plate and a piece of Perspex to fit neatly inside the edge of the white tile edging, jobs a good'un! 

Have I taken it too far????

No

I quite like the idea of joining the cables permanently in the back box and then pull the lower cable to inside the cupboard below preferably to the front, locate new switch then take a feed out to cooker. 

Put a blank plate over existing box them out a picture of the kids/family over the blank plate and a piece of Perspex to fit neatly inside the edge of the white tile edging, jobs a good'un! 

Have I taken it too far????
No lol, That's the way I was thinking , and done something similar in the first place.

Unfortunately if it's going to be rented you need to sort it out, which is going to result in some damage to the tiles and making good.

Look at the possibility of a completely new feed to the cooker, is that possible? then just disconnect the old circuit. That of course depends where you consumer unit is but might be a possibilty.