Core drilling

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Got myself a coredrill set, never used one before. Do i just drill through with an sds bit, and then pop the core bit through without sds on?

i alway core on hammer. :) naughty but quicker..

also u dont need to pilot it .. drill with the pilot drill in for 10mm then remove the pilot drill as they fall into the cavity if not carefull.

niceone, sounds nice and easy, i did forget to mention its accrington brick and a 127mm core bit headbang

why is doing it on sds naughty? does it knacker the bit or mess up the brick work?

Diamond core drills will get ruined on hammer but the money plumbers/heating engineers earn they can affford to throw them away.

;)

Diamond core drills will get ruined on hammer but the money plumbers/heating engineers earn they can affford to throw them away. ;)
ROTFWLROTFWL

I have a strange feeling John may not agree lol

then again his is sat at mine at the moment, probably one of his spare ones!

Hi,

As has been said, don't use hammer, unless you seriously want to shorten the life of your core bit.

The core bits can be chipped by the force of an SDS hammer action (the joules and stroke is too high). a proper core drill uses less energy, but more importantly has minimal (virtually 0mm stroke per blow), and blows alot higher - SDS is about 4000 per minute, core drill is about 25000 per minute.

Hence its probably best to use a none hammer drill (but to be honest I have had hammer on from time to time) :D

O.

cheers, will a 127mm be a bit tough with a mains dewalt sds through tough brick? Just so i know what to expect.

Yeah my sds has a clutch.

the makes 'faithfull' not sure how good they are, I presume average, couldnt afford a better one at the time

Yeah my sds has a clutch.
Wouldn't want you to smash your wrist now :)

the makes 'faithfull' not sure how good they are, I presume average, couldnt afford a better one at the time
I'd go with that! Some of their hand tools are ok. Better than the cheap crap but not up there with the top branded stuff. Has a faithful sander and gave it away!

niceone, cheers for the advice. Feel a lot more confident know i know what i should be doing with it.

i have done hundreds of cores and i mean hundreds and have always used hammer and never lost a tooth yet .

as for quickly when not on hammer .. mmmmmm i go for lots quicker on hammer. :)

i did 1 the other month 23 inches of solid granite stone ..4 1/2 hrs of drilling non stop .. i would like to see u do that with the machine not on hamer.

try both and let us know which is best .

btw cores are 35 pound, i would pay more than that for a tee shirt so costs not really an issue here now is it .. :)

hammer is the way to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did an experiment with a core drill against a sds when I did a big toilet extention some years ago.

The core drill out performed on every cut.

The lad with the sds decided to put it on hammer and it actually took him longer, than when he did not.

To core there is an optimum speed, any faster than this and it just wont cut as well, any slower and you may as well give up.

If you want to core any faster you have to get a water cutter which means the core can actually run at faster speeds.

Most people I find, push the core rather than let the core cut this just slows the cutter down and gets it jammed.

I would never run a core through on hammer, the cutters are not designed for that use.

So if the design is for constant rotary action, I will stick to that.

I've never used it on hammer. Decent coresgo through in under 5 mins a course. I use Diamond ones and a Milwaukee core drill, both designed for the job. I find that using a normal mains sds drill takes ages.

Saw a chippy using a 24V sds drill once. He was to lazy to go to the van!