cowboy builders channel 5

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
300mm diagonally, is the norm. But as mentioned there is no reg / part p for it.

Another thing, that baldy bloke said "anyone who is not gas safe registered cannot work on a boiler, so we have reduced the water pressure to disable it, lets see if he susses that out and puts the pressure back up when hes not qualified".

Does this meen the householder cannot bleed a radiator, even though you get USER manuals showing you how to put the pressure back up after doing this.

Surely part p could not state a reg like this any way? How would it apply to a sink in a commercial situation?

I recall a discussion I once had with another spark about 3 years ago, he told me that a socket/spur should be at least 150mm from a sink or drainer and I worked to this while working with him as he was senior to me. Is/was this a recommendation /16th edition / just plain wrong?

I'm of the opinion that the gas regs come into force as soon as the boiler cover is removed,so hence,no regs would be broken if the guy just sorted the pressure out with the filling loop,therefore not actually breaking any law...so what was the point of the boiler fault?

Another thing, that baldy bloke said "anyone who is not gas safe registered cannot work on a boiler, so we have reduced the water pressure to disable it, lets see if he susses that out and puts the pressure back up when hes not qualified".
I think he obviously sorted the boiler correctly as there was no further mention of it, just an insinuation that he wasn't gas safe because they didn't have his name. Shouldn't they get a cert for this? or at least an invoice? or just ask his name?

The builder defo bodged the light but the sparky didn't do himself justice at all, how many of us would love an opportunity like that to speak for our trade?? In my opinion he probably followed a script.

I feel sorry for Melinda all that begging she has to do, she must be very tired at the end of filming.....

As for the programe, what bol***ks what is a part P qualified electrician??

And as for baldy I really hope he comes up against some massive pykey builder!

Surely part p could not state a reg like this any way? How would it apply to a sink in a commercial situation? I recall a discussion I once had with another spark about 3 years ago, he told me that a socket/spur should be at least 150mm from a sink or drainer and I worked to this while working with him as he was senior to me. Is/was this a recommendation /16th edition / just plain wrong?
Part P as was mentioned above is a building regulation. The distance from a sink would be a wiring regulation.

There is no definitive or defined minimum distance from a sink.

We have had this discussion before on this forum. Common sense would say keep as far away as possible :) Building regs did change on this subject when people who had smaller kitchens were forced to break the regulations in order to have any sockets in a kitchen.

It all comes to intended use and the environment it is used in. So you could have an IP44 or IP65 socket next to the taps if you wanted.

Distance from other influences/ services is another thing to consider.

A mains gas pipe is mentioned as a distance of 150mm, other pipes including distributed gas only 50mm.

So the cable running up the pipe chamber would be a deviation, as would the fused spur with a hole in it. The outside cable in twin and earth is a pet hate of mine, its not intended for outside it goes brittle and looks cheap and nasty.

Ho7 or equivalent cable should be used.

The program was about another project so I doubt this little snippit would have any impact.

I was also in search of Professional Qualified Electricians

Reliable Local Tradesmen. :yellow card

I have come across plenty of websites on Google. But I want to know local area cheap electricians from UK.

I wrote an email to them last series querying some points that melinda made (that at first fix cables should be in a framework). They emailed back saying my point had been noted and would put more research into the subject of giving the public more information.I would hate to think that the research is not as comprehensive as it should be in the hope of getting more of a reaction from dom and melinda
I wrote to them also mentioning the lack of Part P in Scotland and there is a better way (ps it looks as if Northern Ireland may NOT be abopting Part P, but going down the Scottish system- early days yet)

Got no response headbang

Who cares.....great bristols!!!!!
melinda-messenger-1.jpg

What outside light?

:D