Crimping to repair a damaged cable?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.

Theorysparky suggested heatshink sleeving. Any idea what size of sleeving will be required to cover the 2.5mm T&E with the crimps in place? i.e. two Blue & one Red crimp. I will sleeve the bare earth green/yellow and stagger the crimps as suggested. Obviously the joint will be wider than just the 2.5mm T&E cable!

Thanks in advance guys

Regards,

DCM

I would get 6mm and 12mm

you can get assorted packs from B+Q and the other place

or your local wholesaler

Sound's like the missus wears the pant's if you ask me;)

:^O

Evening guys. :D

I'm back from my day out with the children. :)

my tuppence...

I would trace the cable to where it enters the ceiling and push the crimped joint into the void after I had made it off and sleeved it, at least that way you have a continuous cable in the wall with no hidden joint.

only IMHO tho. :)

As would I, Mr. Toe:

A lot of BS r.e. crimped joints being spoken of late. As long as they are secondary insulated, they are perfectly acceptable. To paraphrase big brother:

"I loves crimps, I do!!"

Use `em all the time. Not an issue.

#

Agree with putting a box & blank in line. Personally, I`d also alter the 3036 to an MCB, if it were MY house.

:)

Would be good - But I, as in the case of the OP, Only had minimum distruption in the wall to work with.

I wouldn't mind chasing in out and doing it Step's way. But neighbour had walls re-skimmed and he chased out a hole for repair.

Why not just raggle a touch more out and insert a junction box (under the plaster)? Regardless of it being outside the zones, the cable is there, not much can be done now.

It obviously has no mechanical protection, you cant change that now, whoever put it in, in the 1st place should have done so.

Maybe consider a JB and also condsider upgrading the board so you have an RCD on the ring?

Its not an easy one as whatever you do its not going to be within the regulations due to the initial install.

IMO but thats what I would consider doing. Any final report would have to clearly state the problem.

But........

if it was already there and all you did was repair it ,,,no blanking plate etc

and you told the occupant where the cable was then ..

under the 17th they become an instructed person and everything is covered

is it not ??????? ; \ ; \

But........if it was already there and all you did was repair it ,,,no blanking plate etc

and you told the occupant where the cable was then ..

under the 17th they become an instructed person and everything is covered

is it not ??????? ; \ ; \
I doubt it is that simple, we will have to ask the iee exactly what they mean ,i bet even that is open to different interpretations:_| ;) :^O

I may have missed it a bit, but why not put a socket in at the bottom and a blank immediately under the ceiling as a junction and replace the cable between the two. Then it's obvious that a cable goes down the wall. Here in France we can buy a plaster board box with a slim white lid, ideal for putting in ceiling in cases like this. Not sure if there's such a beast available in England, certainly wasn't when I was there.

Hello Frenchspark.

Welcome to the forum.

I may have missed it a bit, but why not put a socket in at the bottom and a blank immediately under the ceiling as a junction and replace the cable between the two. Then it's obvious that a cable goes down the wall. Here in France we can buy a plaster board box with a slim white lid, ideal for putting in ceiling in cases like this. Not sure if there's such a beast available in England, certainly wasn't when I was there.
Welcome to the forum Frenchspark are you going to introduce yourself?

(In the appropriate sub forum?)

The Godfather

bonjour Frenchspark,

for sure they are available in England, not sure if its on special order here or not tho, but yes you can get a flush lid for a fast fix/plasterboard/dry liner box here also.

just not many people know about them or what to order.! ?:|

good suggestion tho..

Why not just raggle a touch more out and insert a junction box (under the plaster)? Regardless of it being outside the zones, the cable is there, not much can be done now. It obviously has no mechanical protection, you cant change that now, whoever put it in, in the 1st place should have done so.

Maybe consider a JB and also condsider upgrading the board so you have an RCD on the ring?

Its not an easy one as whatever you do its not going to be within the regulations due to the initial install.

IMO but thats what I would consider doing. Any final report would have to clearly state the problem.
The JB would have to be accessible, as the connections are screwed. The only connections which do NOT have to be accessible for inspection are compression, soldered and braised. This is why crimps are being suggested mate. :)

The JB would have to be accessible, as the connections are screwed. The only connections which do NOT have to be accessible for inspection are compression, soldered and braised. This is why crimps are being suggested mate. :)
Sorry I meant to say crimped inside :) As the conversation was mentioning only crimps I overlooked that point .... Sorry :)

You've probably done the job by now but here goes, get your regs. book out son. 526.3 every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance, except for the following (iv) A joint made by welding,soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool. ie. crimpers.

further to that if you're chopping enough plaster away to get the crimpers in. why don't you slip a bit of plastic conduit on first (oval or round).That would give a bit of mechanical protection to your joint.