CU Installation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyboy 68

Reaction score
On CU installations, I like to use a some jumbo trunking or similar to protect the cables where they break through the ceiling to where they enter the CU. I do this primarily to protect the cable from damage etc but also it gives a very professional and neat look to the job. I try to do this regardless of where the CU is situated. However, I have noticed that this is not the case in a lot of CU's I've seen and the cables are just clipped direct and run in through the top of the CU... Is this just me being too 'militaryfied'... It seems obvious to me that these cables should be protected like in the rest of the install.... What are your thoughts on this ?? Out of interest ..What methods do you guys use on your installs ?? ... :D

For my elecsa assessment, I'll be using a CU as example so I'm lookin for a bit of bull**** baffles brains material !!!!!

Using trunking like that makes a nice job , we often do the same, but its not nesessary .

I often do a vertical trunking drop to one side,if possible, then as an L shape across the

top of the board so the cables can be spread acsorr the board.

Double insulated cable in a domestic situation is usually quite safe, specially in cupboard etc.

Same here

Cables Clipped direct (sheathed) is an acceptable wiring method whithout further protection, but trunking does tidy things up and also assists in the IP rating required for the TOP surface of any equipment i.e. the Consumer Unit in this case.

Little project; Research BRB for what it is.

I almost always mount my CU on 2x1 battens and use the knockouts in the back. Gives you your IP rating. Cables then can enter either up or down, and I usually clip them back for neatness. I'll use trunking if say they all come from the top and its possible to get them all in.

Thanks for your input lads... having retrained and being new to this profession i'm still at the stage where I want every aspect of every job to be the muts nuts !!!! ... Although, I'm slowly learnin that it can't always be the case !!! nice to now know that clipped is acceptable if needs be .....

Don't want to big head you lot too much... I've read a lot of threads and picked up some great tips since joining the site.... thanks a million to you for taking the time to sit down after a days work and help out answering these sorts of questions... college can only teach you so much so it's great to know u lot are in the background to help out...... right .... I'm off... it's beer o clock !!! :Y