Customers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Life would be so much easier without them!

Just had a call from a potential customer for a small commercial job that I quoted on last week. They are splitting a large room in two as a learning centre for IT use.

Works required:

1. 2x existing sockets on window board to be relocated below window board & flush to brick work & changed to double sockets.
  2. Other 5 sockets in the room to be changed from singles to doubles & mounted flush with wall.
  3. Extend existing socket circuit (ring final) to include 12 double sockets, new sockets to be mounted in compartmentalised dado trunking, that is to be installed below worktop.
  4. Install 12 RJ45 data outlets & associated cat5 cabling in above mentioned dado trunking.
  5. Install one new radial circuit to 20amp DP switch & one socket outlet for ceiling mounted projector. All cabling to be enclosed with in 20mm white pvc conduit.
  6. Relocate existing light switch.
  7. Relocate two light fittings.
  8. Extend EM light circuit to include two new fittings.
  9. Relocate one light fitting.
  10. (another part of building) Install 3 meters of dado trunking, install new radial circuit for 4x double sockets.
  11. All materials are MK branded.

Phone call as follows:

"Urmm yes your quote, thanks for getting it to me so speedily. It is quite a bit higher than others we've had."

Oh right well it is all priced out for you so you can see where the costs are.

"Yes thanks for that, well how much can you knock off if we change the spec"

So now we are at:

1. Just want sockets removing & cables joined in the cavity wall (internall wall).
  2. Other 5 sockets in the room to be changed from singles to doubles & surface mounted.
  3. Extend existing socket circuit (ring final) to include 12 double sockets, cable to be run in stud wall & drylining boxes used.
  4. Install 12 RJ45 data outlets & associated cat5 cable to be run in stud wall & drylining boxes to be used.
  5. Install one new radial circuit to one socket outlet on ceiling for ceiling mounted projector. All cabling to be run above new false ceiling.
  6. Relocate existing light switch.
  7. Rotate two light fittings through 90 degrees. (they will be 8" off the new stud wall) :C
  8. Extend EM light circuit to include two fittings (use two fittings removed from old part of building before demolishion/refurb) .
  9. Relocate one light fitting.
  10. (another part of building) Scrubbed due to lack of money in budget.
  11. All materials are to be of a cheaper brand.

FFS............. I feel the need for copious amounts of beer.

I've already said I'm not happy using the old EM fittings, as it happens I have two new ones in the store.......an over order from another job last year :innocent

So if they are happy to use them & not the fancy dan ones they wanted, I shall pass on at a favourable rateO)

As you say Andy the quility of the materials will reflect any warranty I give.

PITA situations like this and you cant keep on doing requote after requote for them as its all time taken up.

What I try to do is ask them what parts of the job are a priority, what there actual budget is that they would like the project to cost and then negotiate a second quote. Otherwise, you will end up doing quote after quote in their hope that you will cxck up and give a silly price on something. Then they will snatch your hand off!!

I wouldnt be giving any warranty with the MK carp anyway,

over-rated and over-priced for what it is IMO,

living on a rep they gained years ago.!

I like Robin's idea though.

yes i can't understand what has happened to MK there three gang sockets are a nightmare the one next to the fuse fails have had to replace numerous ones. Trouble is you don't get anything for call backs.