Cut cable under the flooring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My initial thoughts would be things like the following from current BS7671 wiring regs

134.1.4 Requires joints to be of proper construction as regards to conductance, insulation, mechanical strength and protection.
also 526.1 requires connections to have adequate mechanical strength and protection.

526.3 requires connections to be accessible for inspection, testing & maintenance, unless they are designed to be inaccessible and/or maintenance free with appropriate accessory for terminations..

526.5 requires all terminations and joints to be within a suitable enclosure or accessory.

526.8 requires that cores of cables that the sheath has been removed from shall be within an enclosure as per 526.5

In my opinion PVC tape joints would not comply with any of those...
Nor the good workmanship & proper materials by skilled persons required by regulation 134.1.1

Once the cable had been cut it would have been better to add a new section on cable correctly routed through the joists, (not over the top), then two suitable maintenance free junction boxes at either end of the new section to reconnect the circuit.

(Check-a-trade earn their profits, from the annual membership fees that their contractors have to pay them...
So its not really an un-biased opinion they give...
As they don't really want to bite the hand that feeds and pays for all those expensive TV adverts!)

Is the electrician a member of one of the electrical trades bodies?
Hi what an excellent report on the regulatory requirements exactly what I was looking for so it will give my son some ammunition to hit back with if they come back with any crap thanks will keep all posted on the developments

better off with Trading Standards or whoever the company is registered with, but, being Scottish, that is not a requirement north of the border. However, as the company has voluteered to fix the problem themselves, then it's not that likley that anyone would do anything, which is a sad state of affairs but the way the UK works.
Yes thanks I know it is a sad state of affairs
but they should have repaired it to the regulatory requirements

Yes thanks I know it is a sad state of affairs
but they should have repaired it to the regulatory requirements

Also its worth knowing that with a complaint against any tradesperson, the person / company who failed to do the work to a reasonable standard, must be given a chance to put right thier error free of charge first..

e.g. You can't just employ someone else to do some remedial work then try and bill the original contractor, as they can claim they have not been given a fair chance to put right their errors/omissions.

Perhaps it's worth pointing out that they, the flooring company, will be liable for any subsequent electrical problems under the floor, which would also necessitate the removal and restoration of their work.