Cyl Head Skimmed Near Reddich W Mids

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helping my son get his car fixed. anyone recommend a place where I can take the head in and get it skimmed and tested. He lives in Redditch in the W Mids.
Thanks
I've put the feelers out on my car forum so hopefully someone will come back on it.

Hi rev james

You could try halesowen engines it off junction 3 m5 it around 3mins from motoway oppersite mcdonanlds

Haven't got a number hope this helps

Moose

I've been recommended to Dudley Engine Centre..............I've Googled them though and there seems to be a couple of different addresses so just waiting to hear "which" one.

Out of interest what make of car and which engine? How come your having it skimmed? Head gasket blown?

My sons missus has a fiesta 1.3 endura engine 51 plate (mk 5) it has overheated and now has a misfire. Water pump has failed resulting in loss of coolant and as theres no temp gauge the first she knew about it was a red light on the dash. He has been quoted silly amounts to fix it so this is the best option.

Fair enough go for it, it's a over head valve engine so camshaft in the block, there's been problems with people skimming the heads of overhead cam engines, imagine its been over heated so its deformed, you skim the face of the head to make it nice and flat, but what about the cam bearing journals? If you think about it these can now be out of line.

Another thought your cylinder head is cast iron, it may have just took the gasket.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, dont know about cast heads,

but just make sure you shim the cams if needed, loads of people forget about this and then cant figure out why they cant get clearance, esp if quite a bit needs skimmed.

The endura is a push rod engine,

I was more on about the cam journals where the cams run in the head.

The endura is a push rod engine,I was more on about the cam journals where the cams run in the head.
:Blushing

I know NOTHING about cars,  :|

sorry

EDIT : push rod? are you sure? didnt that go out of fashion before the steam engine?

push rod? really? do lawnmowers even use push rod anymore?........

Ford did then mate, it's basically the old Kent engine, then they called it something else which I can't remember, then they called it endura

its basically a crossflow been used in one form or other on fiestas since 1976. If the head does need skimming then for sure the tappets will need doing but thats no big deal on these engines.

Blimey ...push rods ...thats a blast from the past...isn't everything OHC these days .  Last push rods I recall were on a Morris Minor. 

How about Halesowen Engines  on 0121 201 4180

Last edited by a moderator:
FFS, like the old formula ford things that used to pretend to be racing cars?

Never ever worked on a bigger bag of shite either before or since, thank gawd.

Honda GX Are more advanced !

The lad on my car forum came back:

"sorry mate got it wrong, it's Black Country Engine's in Dudley - they are the best, I always use them"

Black Country Engines Ltd.
31 Dudley Road
Brierley Hill
West Midlands
DY5 1HA
01384 262131

To the op,

To be honest I can't see that head needing to be skimmed, I worked for ford for many years and that was probably one if the best engines they had. It's a cast head, take the head off, clean it up and put a straight edge across it. If the engines been that hot the heads knackered I'd scrap the engine.