Advice on best value solar panels and any known grants available

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan B

Reaction score
My existing panels are around 20 yrs old and starting to become a problem ,
My first question is can i get help from the government with replacing JUST panels ,
I live in a static caravan and the original installation was DIY.
If ,as I suspect ,not could anyone recommend a make of replacement panels that are mid-range
I would like to get another 20 years use out of them. I need around 6.5 KW. thankyou Alan

What issues are you having with your current panels?

Your panels are probably far smaller than what is currently qvaiable, so you need to consider the roof mounts aswell. Schletter is my rail of choice, reasonable price and solid.

Panels, there's loads of different Chinese brands around, and a few European, but not many. JA are pretty decent.

Hi , I have a scaffold frame to hold them ,the present ones are fixed through the outer frame by high tensile wire.

But I like the idea of a rail system , I have some japanese panels im very happy with but the main bulk of

existing were korean .

There is some corrosion inbetween the frame and glass which seems to be shorting and thus tripping RCD

This has only happened to a couple of them ,that i can detect with a meter ,but i think at 20yrs old

they have done well and I could do without tinkering on my roof .

So you think chinese could be the way to go .JA seem to have a following so may look further at them . thanks

Your previous ones 20 years ago were probably around 15% efficient, current ones although bigger are also nearer 22% efficient, so you will need less panels and less total area for the same output,

As for govt grants, unless you are on benefits, you'll struggle to find any grants out there. Most were from the EU, and I believe something occurred a few years ago , I can't quite remember what.

Hi , I have a scaffold frame to hold them ,the present ones are fixed through the outer frame by high tensile wire.

But I like the idea of a rail system , I have some japanese panels im very happy with but the main bulk of

existing were korean .

There is some corrosion inbetween the frame and glass which seems to be shorting and thus tripping RCD

This has only happened to a couple of them ,that i can detect with a meter ,but i think at 20yrs old

they have done well and I could do without tinkering on my roof .

So you think chinese could be the way to go .JA seem to have a following so may look further at them . thanks
Any idea what is causing the corrosion ( could just be bird poo) ? Most panels have a rating for corrosive and salt water atmospheres these days, but worth checking specs for that

If you have a frame, just reuse it. Some times it can be easier to fix rails to such a frame, just watch supporting points along the frame. 1.4m tends to be the max, but it varies with rail profiles. I've built wooden frame to support rails before.

Latest posts