Dab Radio And Down Lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewiz

Reaction score
Today we I stalled 3 sets of down lights.

When turning on the 2nd set of down light s the dab radio didn't pick up any signal. As soon as the lights were off it came back on.

The others sets of down lights didn't have an effect. The radio was plugged... Must be some kind of disturbance to the signal. Anyone had this before?

yes,

LED ?

its a common issue, posted a few times before,

in y own house I have this issue, 2 banks of LED in my kitchen, one bank on and DAB is fine, 2nd bank on and reception is non existent,

EMC issue with the lamps/lights I would say.

Almost certainly don't comply with the EMC Directive.

What will we do once this is in place?...

>>>

PART 3
ASSESSMENT OF GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS
CHAPTER 33
COMPATIBILITY
332 ELECTROMAGNETIC COMPATIBILITY
332.1 All electrical equipment shall meet the appropriate electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) requirements and shall be in accordance with the relevant EMC standard
<<<

The wording may have changed by now a little as this is from the DPC, my bold

Does this not happen with decent brands too? not just cheapie ebay jobs?

Going to see an unhappy LED customer today to hopefully fit some proper dimmers and not the 60-400w ones the wholesaler keeps selling him : headbang

He also has the DAB issue :(

Everyone raves about LED's but unless you get the right kit then your jus wasting money IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a similar experience last week .  Fitted  just 3  downlights in a refurb ,  Crompton 4W LED  lamps .  Switch on and my little work radio , on FM, starts crackling , no reception , switch off , radio is back to normal. 

Radio was about 2m  from the lights.  

If I'm charging my battery in my Dewalt radio it often has an issue picking up a signal - unplug it and run it off the battery it works OK.

Also if I use my drill battery charger nearby the same happens.