Dangerous Instalation Notification

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidecutter

Reaction score
Came across an interesting one yesterday

A new customer phoned me about doing a periodic for her on a property she rents out.

She has in the past rented out through an agent who has always handled all safety tests for gas and electric.

The new people moving in had a cooker fitted and the NICEIC contractor who fitted the cooker issued the tenent with a Dangerous Instalation Notification because there was no evidence of a periodic inspection having been carried out. And aparently made a big thing about it.

The instalation is 7 year old and I tested it for her yesterday, No problems at all my only comment was Fusebox does not comply with BS7671 2008 as the lighting circuit is not protected by an RCD (code 4) but not a problem as was wired to 16th Edition . However landlord wants to be right so am going back to fit a 6A RCBO 30mA.

Where do these people get these ideas from, at worst the landlord was a bit negligent in not remembering the pir needed to be done. I hope my label does not fall off the fusebox or the whole instalation will become dangerous again. lol:D

Was there the original EIC for the rewire present? if so the sparky installing the hood is talking cr*p in My opinion, out to make more cash by scaring people. If the fuse board was installed in 2004, how can it possibly be fully compliant to BS7671:2008?

AndyGuinness

The reccomended period for PIR on domestic is 10 years. It is also reccomended that you have a domestic tested at every change of owner/tenant, one caveat - these are purely reccomendations and you are able to suggest longer periods or shorter as you see fit as long as you can justify it.

i.e. Three tenants in a year, house clean, good tenants no obvious sign of damage on handover - would you reccomend three PIRs, common sense and competance can go hand in hand.

As long as the installation is compliant with the original regs at the time of install and is safe, it should pass its PIR - this guy was out to make money by bull sh!tt!ng

There was no EIC on site when the electrician was fitting the cooker but he was fitting it for the tenant, all the paperwork was with the landlord. There was A test notice on the fusebox from when the instalation was first commisioned back in 2004. It appears the electrician who was fitted the cooker is an ex RAF electrician who is now an NICEIC Domestic installer and apparantly a friend of the new tenants family.

on tenanted houses I do for private landlords I always put 2 years or change of tenant, any landlords and agents I do work for are happy with this,

they dont always get me in as soon as tenancy changes if within the 2 year period, but they know its on their heads.