Data and network contractors

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian932

Reaction score
Is it just me being picky or are the majority of these guys w***ers.

Just spent early part of the week putting in 30m of 100mm basket on cantilevers nice sweeps and bends etc lovely bit of work if I do say so myself. laid a 50mm 4 core swa on it and part dressed it on the bends etc. still have to tightened up the hold down clamps in places once its had a final tweak then the swa needs to be zip tied.

Anyway left site at 12 yesterday and noticed the data guys had just started (four of them pulling a 6no. 80m legs of cat5!!) not one of the little geeks had reached puberty by the looks, all new vans nothing but 7 rung steps for getting up to the office pod roof which i need to use my double for. They just look unrepaired for the work. Saw one of them hanging off a cladding purlin 4.5m up feeding cable along a purlin.

Well arrived on site today to find the w***ers had run their cat5 on my basket and zip tied it exactly where I need to dress the swa and it crosed over it in 2 places. So when they came in I asked them how they expect it to comply with 528 of the BS they just went what

ian932,

Manator has a clause in his commercial T's & C's that we all should have, something about only power cables installed by him on his contaiment, try a search or he may be forthcoming!

It is now in most of our commercial t&c's!!!

Its par for the course these days Ian, and they will be charging a fortune to run that stuff around the place , I bet.

We turned up at one of our jobs to find a bunch of 12yr old data installers using our 7 mtr tower , in the end we agreed they could use it till lunch time as a favour to the customer , when we took it back , they'd left a load of stuff on the top which fell off when we wheeled it away !!!

We installed a load of Cat5 in some new offices, all made off . When we had finished the client told us we had quoted half what the Data guys wanted , and we'd gone in well over what we thought the job was worth !!!

Its par for the course these days Ian, and they will be charging a fortune to run that stuff around the place , I bet. We turned up at one of our jobs to find a bunch of 12yr old data installers using our 7 mtr tower , in the end we agreed they could use it till lunch time as a favour to the customer , when we took it back , they'd left a load of stuff on the top which fell off when we wheeled it away !!!

We installed a load of Cat5 in some new offices, all made off . When we had finished the client told us we had quoted half what the Data guys wanted , and we'd gone in well over what we thought the job was worth !!!
Do you analyse the cables after install or just use a qualification tester?

Its par for the course these days Ian, and they will be charging a fortune to run that stuff around the place , I bet. We turned up at one of our jobs to find a bunch of 12yr old data installers using our 7 mtr tower , in the end we agreed they could use it till lunch time as a favour to the customer , when we took it back , they'd left a load of stuff on the top which fell off when we wheeled it away !!!

When the client said he had a firm doing the data I told him we could do that and probably at a better price, even showed him the uint next door where we had installed 30 x 305m boxes of the stuff.

View attachment 1683

but he is one of those types that thinks you need data guys for data, fire guys for fire, security guys for security you get the idea. He might change is thoughts when he see's the shocking job they are doing with sticky YT all over the place.

DSCF1073.jpg

I used to work as a data installer in NZ. The company I worked for preferred to use sparks far data even if it meant a bit of training. They reckoned sparks were better at putting cables in neatly! I was trained up as a certified Krone Installer. The majority of routes would be in false ceilings and off catenary. We were that thorough we even had to make sure the cable ties were fitted (not too tightly) at random spacings so that impedance would not be affected. Did several large call centre installs for banks and large corporations. As far as analysing went we used something called a Pentascanner on every circuit.

This is one of my pet hates, my terms and conditions state that all cable management installed by me is for the use of me alone and under no circumstances will I allow anyone to use it. If they do, then it gets cut out. I once issued an invoice for

This is one of my pet hates, my terms and conditions state that all cable management installed by me is for the use of me alone and under no circumstances will I allow anyone to use it. If they do, then it gets cut out. I once issued an invoice for

I take it that condition is only applicable during your installation phase and that after handover to the client they can do what they want with it.
The terms that are written implies that this is for the life of the install. I had one instance of an assessment installed for about 9 months and when it was inspected we found data and alarm cables just run along the top of the cables. My assessor passed the install but it was a close call.

Tea boy ? ;)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was made at 12:50 ----------

I was on site years back (as a mate) and had to run 20m of basket in a refurbed school block,,awkward run

well pleased with it,,,came in monday and the data tw#ts had bypassed half the tray and tie wrapped to the beams

i complained to my boss who looked and said 'not your problem we did as we were told'

dunno if it got signed off.

When in the RAF it was standard practice to separate Power and Data and RF cables. If we saw anyone putting cables in our ducting then they were taken away and shot. Only happened the once.

I was doing some work in a unit once and one of the employees was installing data using something like a gross between a gun and a fishing reel... he was using it to lash the data across the top of a suspended ceiling!

I was doing some work in a unit once and one of the employees was installing data using something like a gross between a gun and a fishing reel... he was using it to lash the data across the top of a suspended ceiling!
When I was about 20 we had a big industrial unit to wire, the data guys turned up and used a cross bow to shoot the cables over some beams, we thought we would have a go but just shot holes through the metal skin of the building. The foreman just went mad and looked a bit like the guy out of the farmers gate advert. Jumping up and down and changing colour

never tried it since