De- Energisation of supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevestress

Reaction score
Have been called out to a meter or CU buzzing, on arrival walked down the hall radio playing softly in the back ground, my eyes clocked a radio and I was shown to the supply under the stairs, switched off supply radio still playing not thinking to much as the one i had seen was battery operated, opened the cu and tested the supply which was still live put cover back on put tester into socket then tried the switch again this time all went quite so I think may be its the switch thats buzzing. Phoned N power to get some to cut supply while we change the CU N power its not our job they gave me the number of United utilities phoned them asking to de-energize lady on front desk said not a problem we are in that area in August, explained situation that the person could be without electricity to which there answer was that is not our problem. any way what form do i fill in to say what has happened and who I have contacted and do, I leave electric turned on or off now knowing there is a faulty switch on the CU?

if you've switched the main switch off and the installation is still live it sounds like your main switch is damaged. If your competent enough, switch off all loads and pull the main fuse and replace main switch, bobs your uncle.

Note: My advice may not be the legal procedure but its what I'd do.

Of course, We do not recommend the "pulling of DNO / REC" fuses, on this here, forum.

Any fuse fairies in your area?

Yep any problems with them just say the switch was smoking and had to be made safe.

Yes there are fuse fairies operation in this area but they do not like touching old cast type. any way e on said they could change supply within 7 days plus install new ampey meter with cut out surprising how fast the old DNO operate when they think they are going to loose a customer any way thank all for advise and do not forget that if we all concentrate this career is not as shocking as people think