Decorative Socket Lead To Faulty Appliance?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonirules

Reaction score
Hello,

This is a strange one.

We have just had a new kitchen and appliances fitted. All appliances were working fine but since changing the socket that the freezer was on to a decorative one, it has developed a fault. It still runs, but the overheating light is coming on to indicate that it cant get cold enough and obviously the contents of the freezer have defrosted. My question is - can a different socket affect the way an appliance works? In my limited knowledge I cant think of why it would, but the fact that since changing the socket the fault has developed has made me wonder.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks - I was in the process of trying this but, I'll let you know how it goes. It has been difficult to though as we had changed all of the sockets downstairs to the same decorative sockets that I have become suspicious of. 

If this doesn't work - I might just be looking at a fault with the appliance that coincidentally occurred at the time we had the socket changed.

Have you checked you have used the correct terminals in the decorative sockets?

I have often seen where people have changed them and simply put the wires from the right hand terminal into the right hand terminal of the new socket, which may not be the correct terminal. 

My guess it is simply the fact it was unplugged and then powered up again and a latent fault has shown up. But by all means try it in a different socket.

I take it all other appliances are working in the new sockets?

The only thing I can think of other than co-incidental appliance fault is a high resistance in the new socket, not allowing the motor to start properly... however I would expect a noticeable warming of the socket and perhaps some strange noises from the motor if this were to be the case!

coincidences happen alot, but it would be worth checking the wiring of the socket. Depending waht socket you have fitted, especially if you opted for flat plate designs there isn't alway quite enogh room behind socket to terminate well, or it can put the terminals under stress.

Last edited by a moderator:
especially if you opted for flat plate designs there isn't alway quite enogh room behind socket to terminate well, or it can out the terminals under stress.
LAPP are particularly bad for having rubbish terminations that simply won't properly grip some cable combinations.

LAPP are particularly bad for having rubbish terminations that simply won't properly grip some cable combinations.
I assume you mean LAP, the Screwfix own brand and not LAPP, the high quality cable and connector manufacturer.

I assume you mean LAP, the Screwfix own brand and not LAPP, the high quality cable and connector manufacturer.

Well he is an honorary Jock, so,it is no wonder he got confused over the 'P'

Latest posts