detached garage supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about discrimation with RCDs (sub main and circuits in garage).

Why put an RCD in the garage when there is one feeding the submain? ;)

D.

I'd tend to use an rcd in garage, because from a garage people use things like pressure washers, and other stuff outside.

Now if the rcbo would trip quick enough then no need. But I always like safety first.

Please note that the document i linked to above was written to the 16th edition and RCD protection is now needed to most Tw&e circuits, including the 'sub-main' to the garage.Shocking and Mickel, 2 RCD's in line do not add any extra safety, In fact they can 'interfere' with each other causing nucence tripping.

If the Tw&e is not going to be surface mounted, a time delayed RCD does not meet the regs.
Really? Never had any 'interference' issues as mentioned? Maybe just lucky :)

The RCD in the garage would normally trip 1st in any case.

I would expect the garage to be piped? Normally just use PVC 20mm conduit.

Its funny there are so many variations on this when we are all reading from the same book :eek:

Really? Never had any 'interference' issues as mentioned? Maybe just lucky :) The RCD in the garage would normally trip 1st in any case.
No. I've had rcd's further up the line trip when they are both 30mA and one's not time delayed. :_|

Latest posts