Dimmer problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Styler

Reaction score
Hi all, newby here. I have a large lounge and when I moved in there was one chePo dinner sswitch which controlled 2 basic pendant lights. I've just changed the lights for two proper pendant lights Jena pendant light these both use 7x 40w bulbs = 14x 40w bulbs. When I turn dimmer on half wY it buzzes and also starts to smell of burning. The lights also flicker. What should I do? Change dimmer for more powerful one? Is so which one? Or should I buy a twin dimmer so that each light can be controlled separately??? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

You need a bigger dimmer or split the 2 as you say, splitting may not be that easy.

you've got nearly 600w of light there so any single dimmer should be rated more then that.

or you could drop the wattage of the lamps.

Last edited by a moderator:
well you dimmer may be rated at 250w and in that case its to small for the load of your lights....

14 x 40 = 560W if ur switch is rated at 250 it will flicker and burn like what u have said

u need a 1000w dimmer im affraid my freind

Welcome to the forum, all dimmers have a maximum wattage, typically 250watt, 14x40=560watts, even one light fitting with 7x40 (280watts) is to high for a 250watt dimmer. some manufacture do not recommend using two higher power dimmers in a single gang switch due to overheating issues. I suspect you may need double dimmer switch, higher power and bigger back box.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
or u could switch the both lights sepratly but i expect you will have to change the wiring around a little

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:31 ----------

doc u stole my answer lol

I think your first call is one of these
images.jpg

600W of lighting in a living room.

Glad to see you have installed an energy efficient lighting system.

No wonder you need a dimmer.

600W of lighting in a living room.Glad to see you have installed an energy efficient lighting system.

No wonder you need a dimmer.
I had a customer ask me about some lighting I'd first fixed,,, ,they said "why are younputting in LED down lighters?"

My answer was that A) I had designed the circuit for LED and B) the energy and maintenance savings of 14 LED as opposed to halogen down lighters would make them much more cost effective

BTW I'm sticking in the Kosnic 3 x 3W fittings,,,, in antique brass:O????

I had a customer ask me about some lighting I'd first fixed,,, ,they said "why are younputting in LED down lighters?"My answer was that A) I had designed the circuit for LED and B) the energy and maintenance savings of 14 LED as opposed to halogen down lighters would make them much more cost effective

Noz

Did the customer ask for LED lights or was that your suprise for them ???????

Noz

do you have the link ????

priced one up similar and got 2k......for one area

cheers

I had a customer ask me about some lighting I'd first fixed,,, ,they said "why are younputting in LED down lighters?"My answer was that A) I had designed the circuit for LED and B) the energy and maintenance savings of 14 LED as opposed to halogen down lighters would make them much more cost effective

Are you also providing a couple of these

petzl_ultra.jpg

;) :slap ;)

IIRC the spacing is 900mm,,, the manufacturer recommended 1000mm:O

They are also having under cabinet lighting (T5s),,,, they have asked for this (but we haven't yet discussed how many)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:45 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:44 ----------

Don't know if the budget will stretch to a Petzl;) ;) ; )