Dimplex Cavendish fire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalcyB

Reaction score
Hi all

I got a call last night, woman saying her electric fire had stopped working. I went round thinking it would just be the fuse.

Fuse is ok. When I put the fuse back in and switched on the element came on. It lasted for about 15 seconds then went off and would not come back on again till it had cooled down. Which led me to think thermal cut out inside. I tried taking it apart but could not find anything. There is a hinged back on it where there is a PCB amongst other things.

Has anyone ever come across one of these, what might be causing it to cut out or where the trip is.

Thanks

Malc

I would say there is a break in the element which is opening up when it gets hot and expands. Same thing can happen with immersions, run for a few minutes then cut out. If you can remove the element inspect it carefully for any signes of arcing somewhere in the wire windings (if you can, some are encased so you can't see the windings).