Din Rail Enclosure

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeFil

Reaction score
Hi all,

A customer of mine has had a distribution board built, using a 4 rail din enclosure.  mcb's and rcd's on one rail. main switch on another.

Is there any regulation about the building and testing that should have been done during construction or am I imagining there is??

Thanks

if its in LFB approved metal, its fine. otherwise its going to self combust next month and will need replaced anyway. along with the rest of the burnt out property....

Last edited by a moderator:
BS EN 61439-1 & BS EN 61439-3 will need to be met, plus any other requirements of the LVD.
So does this mean if someone has built a low voltage switch panel (think of it as a TPN board with some added contactors in the enclosure) that it should have been tested during the design and build by the panel builder and there should be some sort of conformance certificate with it?

Thank you.

I've caused a bit of stress over the last couple of days by telling a client that the panel as built and installed wasn't appropriate or safe for use.

It was built on the continent and shipped here as part of a portable building.

Quite possibly not acceptable, I've condemned such things as well, as they were downright dangerous.

On a lesser note, I found a single socket outlet supplied on a 32A mcb, on a ring, yes a ring between two points!

2.5mm sq SY used.

So not dangerous, but typical of the lack of understanding of UK regulations in mainland Europe.

Plastic enclosure distorting under the strain of incoming swa. 2.5mm cables protected by 63a fuse.

And that was just the starting point

2.5mm cables protected by 63a fuse.
Careful with that one. If the cable in question was between the incomming terminal block and a 16A breaker for example. The 63A fuse only needs to provide fault protection (I haven't done the calcs, but I bet its borderline), while overload is protected by the 16A breaker.  I've seen many an enclosure that has a load of 2.5mm to individual breakers all crimped into a bootlace ferral and fed straight out of the panel isolator.

Sorry If I am stating the obvious or have the wrong end of the stick!