Direct or subby

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Soprano

Quality over quantity
Reaction score
Just thought I’d put this out there. I’ve always been on the books and quite like the fact that I get a van and fuel payed for, holiday pay etc.

especially seems as thow I’m not the most financially stable person.

and you have work most of the time. I get the approved JIB rate so nothing special. But I recently have a few mates taking the jump and going subbying. So what are your thoughts? People who I know that subby to firms don’t take home much more than me by the time they have put £50 a week fuel in their van or car. And have to fix it if it plays up and insurance and tax.

will be interesting to see what you lads do or think. I find the idea of going it alone quite daunting but lately it seems like a viable or better option. I would never want my own company. Just not prepared to put that much time in. I’m happy to work a 50 hour week and then switch off. Would only consider subbying to companies

Last edited by a moderator:
basically you want to be employed but a subby
Not sure where you got that from. I wouldn’t go on agencies. Agency sparks are thought of as bottom of the pile who can’t hold down a job. And agencies always lye about how much work they have. I’m not saying all agency sparks useless but most the ones I’ve worked with are.  

better off on the books, unless you want the hassle of running a business.
I think so too but at the same time I get sick of the pidgeon-poop attached to being on books. Like going to that yard every day. And the dis organisation 

I'd say subbing is NOT for you  ,  (Its not for anyone really )    If can become self employed  without subbing  but thats another thread. 

I'd say you need to change employers  ...have to say , going to the yard every day would drive me up the wall , unless I worked there of course .   Is that so they don't have to pay you travel time ?      Do you have to return to the yard at the end of the day too ?  

I'd say subbing is NOT for you  ,  (Its not for anyone really )    If can become self employed  without subbing  but thats another thread. 

I'd say you need to change employers  ...have to say , going to the yard every day would drive me up the wall , unless I worked there of course .   Is that so they don't have to pay you travel time ?      Do you have to return to the yard at the end of the day too ?  
No not every day. And yes it is to avoid paying door to door.I don’t go to yard at night. I go straight home. I think being direct suits me. But it’s just finding the right firm. I’m my own worse enemy . I always get it in my head that there’s something better out there. Always have that little voice in the back of my head. If you know what I mean. I’ve always been like it. 

Most people do ,  they change fields only to find it was greener where they were .  

If its a JIB firm , do you have the JIB pension ongoing ?  

You have no travel expenses .

You have holiday pay .

You must have JIB sick pay .

You have a 3 year pay deal . 

In times of need they would have to get rid of Subbies  before staff.

Most people do ,  they change fields only to find it was greener where they were .  

If its a JIB firm , do you have the JIB pension ongoing ?  

You have no travel expenses .

You have holiday pay .

You must have JIB sick pay .

You have a 3 year pay deal . 

In times of need they would have to get rid of Subbies  before staff.
Not a jib firm. but I get the jiB approved rate. Not great but what can you do.  Never heard of jiB sick pay. I have a company pension. 

Im also no longer willing to work away after two decades of doing it. Don’t wana sound like a moaner lol. But they don’t pay enough to be away from the kids all week. Haven’t been asked yet thow.

Let me guess, you are getting on in years and are fed up with the lies and cr*p? You are thinking there must be something better out there?

Guess what, welcome to the real world.

Times have changed, employers are controlled by bean counters and life gets worse, if you go elsewhere you will be the newbie and after a while if you don't wish you were back where you were the new company will also treat you like sh*t

Either get out of the industry or do as I do smile and think its just another day of lies and cr*p

Latest posts