Job opportunity

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy1733

Reaction score
I've found myself in a situation where I'm not sure which is the best route and after being a member of this forum for a while I'm hopefully going to get some decent advise.

I've been property developing for several years and due to the current climate I've decided to walk away and choose a slightly different route. Still in construction but more down the maintenance/installation side.

I've been offered 2 different jobs. They have both agreed to wait for my decision until Friday this week.
Both jobs are doing basically the same thing.

Job one newish company. Been trading 3 years
40 hour week, self employed
£22 per hour plus 30p per mile fuel allowance. (Approx 200 miles per week travel)
Use my own van and own tools.

Job 2 established company over 60 years.
39 hour week. Employed
£15 per hour. Use company van, company tools fuel card. Approx 50 miles per week travel. Obv other perks of being employed. (Pension, holiday pay ect)

I would be going for the second one.
No self employment overheads or admin, pension, holiday, job security. But perhaps I'm just cautious by nature.

I would be going for the second one.
No self employment overheads or admin, pension, holiday, job security. But perhaps I'm just cautious by nature.
Thanks Geoff. Tbh I still have a few BTL property so I still have to get my books sorted each year.
Imo the first job has the benefit of over £300 per week more. Though the 2nd one offers more stability and closer to home.

Just a few thoughts in 30 seconds.

Being SE
If they have little or no work for a while you get no money at all.
You have to do your own Tax
You have to make time to do all paperwork
Fund your own transport
Repair own transport / no pay if transport is in garage

On the books
Company vehicle You have no major maintenance to worry about
You will get holiday pay
I would suspect more than 50 miles / week travel (I used to do more than that/day)
Fuel price goes up, not your problem
Consistent wage every month

Money helps, but it does not buy everything. At the end of the day, it is your choice.

if you're wanting a change to get away from working for youself and let someone deal with everything other than the actual work then option 2. i you just want to do different work then maybe option 1

things could aslo get complicated if you're self employed but only work for one company, in that you should be employed. or something like that

if you're wanting a change to get away from working for youself and let someone deal with everything other than the actual work then option 2. i you just want to do different work then maybe option 1

things could aslo get complicated if you're self employed but only work for one company, in that you should be employed. or something like that
I believe they pay through cis subcontractors though I've never done this so not sure how it works.

Just a few thoughts in 30 seconds.

Being SE
If they have little or no work for a while you get no money at all.
You have to do your own Tax
You have to make time to do all paperwork
Fund your own transport
Repair own transport / no pay if transport is in garage

On the books
Company vehicle You have no major maintenance to worry about
You will get holiday pay
I would suspect more than 50 miles / week travel (I used to do more than that/day)
Fuel price goes up, not your problem
Consistent wage every month

Money helps, but it does not buy everything. At the end of the day, it is your choice.
When I put the 50 miles travel for the 2nd job it's a start from base job. So every morning meet at the office at 830am. Then travel to location. Obv paid whilst traveling to the job. Though return journey is in my own time.

I would Google both companies and look at financial stability of them. The established company you maybe able to find comments on what they are like to work for online aswell.

Personally I would go for option 2 , stability, and nothing to worry about - the great joy of being employed. A company onky 3 years old can easily go belly up.

The only advantage from job No1 is 30p per mile fuel allowance, couple of months ago I was making on 14p per mile. Do you also get vehicle allowance for wear and tear.

The only advantage from job No1 is 30p per mile fuel allowance, couple of months ago I was making on 14p per mile. Do you also get vehicle allowance for wear and tear.
No m8. It's the 30p. I did a quick tot up and I would expect the 200 miles to cost around £30. On a down side. The 1st company have just got a contract for an additional 80 property's in the local area. (Sheffield) though we have a clean air zone and my van being a 2013 model wouldn't qualify (£10 per day). Not sure who would pay this atm

Last edited:
I would Google both companies and look at financial stability of them. The established company you maybe able to find comments on what they are like to work for online aswell.

Personally I would go for option 2 , stability, and nothing to worry about - the great joy of being employed. A company onky 3 years old can easily go belly up.
I've googled both company's. Didn't really learn anything I didn't expect. New company plenty of setup expenditure. Around 40k on the bank.
Established company. Just under a million in the bank but with plenty of hanger ons..

I've seen a few comments for the established company but it's from disgruntled ex employee. Can't see anything for the newbys

though we have a clean air zone and my van being a 2013 model wouldn't qualify (£10 per day). Not sure who would pay this atm
As you would be SE I would have thought that is down to you to pay, as well as any parking/parking fines.

On the lighter side, a company I worked for, all company vehicles were set up, so the company paid the (London) congestion charge, worked well until we started to get new vehicles, someone forgot to register the new vehicles, they had to pay the fines which totalled thousands (We all worked in the CC zone, and they don't send fines out for a few weeks, hence the thousands in fines.)

Take the employed job and see how it pans out. Paid holiday, sick and pension benefits do add up .........

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.