Which quote to choose help!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky pies

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve been a lurker for a few months while toying with the idea of having solar installed. I’m now taking the plunge and have 2 final quotes…I had decided on going with an established local company (20 years in the game) but a newish national company I had spoke with have come back with a lower offer tonight, problem is I’m due to sign contracts tomorrow, so need to make a quick decision, so any advice will be appreciated. The two quotes are follows

Local firm

Prices for both system split array

20 x Perlight 400kw panels
2 x 6.5kw Growatt batteries
Birds protection
1 Iboost
8.0kw Growatt inverter

£17,935

National Firm

Solar Panels
Trina
7.7 kW Total Solar Power
20 x 385 Watt Panels
6,906 kWh per year

Inverter
Sunsynk
8 kW Total Inverter Rating
1 x SUNSYNK-8K-SG02LP1

Battery
Sunsynk
10.24 kWh Total Battery Storage
2 x Sunsynk 5.12kWh

£15,500

Help please 🙏

National company sounds warning bells. This almost certainly means the install will be done by sub contractors , and what happens when it goes wrong or the installation is poor?

Yeah the reputation is a main concern for me, they have 8 reviews on their Google rating ‘All seasons Energy’ based in Sheffield. I can’t find much information on SunSynk battery or inverters either, just it’s £2.5k to consider saving with them..

Hi, sorry to drag this up but wondered on thoughts that the installer has said it is not a 8kwh Growatt inverter but a 5kwh apparently Growat don’t do single phase inverters that size and that it was an error. Will 5kwh be sufficient for an 8k Array? Any help appreciated.

Hi, sorry to drag this up but wondered on thoughts that the installer has said it is not a 8kwh Growatt inverter but a 5kwh apparently Growat don’t do single phase inverters that size and that it was an error. Will 5kwh be sufficient for an 8k Array? Any help appreciated.
I wouldn't, too much like strangling the system even on a split array.

I wouldn't, too much like strangling the system even on a split array.
Thanks for the reply Binky, When you say strangling, can you expand a bit for me? Just if necessary I’ll get onto them before install on the 31st. Also is it in anyway hazardous? My inverter and batteries will be in the loft if that makes a difference in terms of fire relating to the strangling.

It's a huge drop is 8kw to 5.

I think Binky means that you are strangling 8kw down to 5kw, which is too much of a drop.

You prob won't ever reach 8kw, or rarely, but even on duller days you'll be losing a lot of power with only a 5kw inverter.

I'm using 6kw inverters on a 6.4kw PV array. It probably won't hardly ever get strangled.

Thanks for the reply Binky, When you say strangling, can you expand a bit for me? Just if necessary I’ll get onto them before install on the 31st. Also is it in anyway hazardous? My inverter and batteries will be in the loft if that makes a difference in terms of fire relating to the strangling.
It won't cause a fire. What is the roof pitch and orientation?

Use the SPH6000, 6kW Growatt Inverter, a bit nearer match to your PV. I would also reconsider EDDI in place of iboost which seems to have some reliability and support issues. If you're considering EV, a ZAPPI charger integrates perfectly with the system and works with EDDI energy diverter seamlessly.

Use the SPH6000, 6kW Growatt Inverter, a bit nearer match to your PV. I would also reconsider EDDI in place of iboost which seems to have some reliability and support issues. If you're considering EV, a ZAPPI charger integrates perfectly with the system and works with EDDI energy diverter seamlessly.
Thanks John, great that’s the inverter that is being fitted I’d made an error on that post you quoted, I’ve already been reading your posts on Eddi and I’ve switched my iboost from the quote out for Eddi. EV purchase is a couple years down the line for us but zappi definitely part of the plan, thanks for the advice, hugely appreciated 🙏

Latest posts