Diy garage power supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haggis31

Reaction score
Hi

I have installed a new power supply into my garage which is seperate from my house.

I installed a new 32 amp circuit breaker in the main CU by linking a single core 6mm cable from the last mcb on the socket circuit to the new mcb.

I ran a 15m swa 6mm2 cable from the main CU (under ground) to a db board with an rcd and 2 breakers a 5amp for the lights and a 20amp for the sockets which i wired in a radial circuit.

Everything works fine but after watching a tv programme i'm concerned if modifying my CU and adding a power supply outside is illegal to do so if not a qualified electrician. None of the work has been tested as its just a diy job.

Please can someone advise?

Hello and welcome

In England you have broken the law, but in Scotland I think you may be ok. A wiser one than me will be along to confirm.

HiI have installed a new power supply into my garage which is seperate from my house.

I installed a new 32 amp circuit breaker in the main CU by linking a single core 6mm cable from the last mcb on the socket circuit to the new mcb.

I ran a 15m swa 6mm2 cable from the main CU (under ground) to a db board with an rcd and 2 breakers a 5amp for the lights and a 20amp for the sockets which i wired in a radial circuit.

Everything works fine but after watching a tv programme i'm concerned if modifying my CU and adding a power supply outside is illegal to do so if not a qualified electrician. None of the work has been tested as its just a diy job.

1st point highlighted Blue

If it has not been tested it is impossible to say it will all work fine in the event of a life threatening fault..

A person may be dead before the circuit protective device works.

Rather like a 19yr old boy racer saying his car works fine with near bald tyres..

and he is good at driving even after a drink...

(until a life threatening event occurs)

It may be too late when you find out it has not been designed or installed correctly for the load and the existing installation and earth arrangements.

I find it very interesting that people think because a job is a DIY job the basic essential safety checks need not be carried out

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. I'm not the wise one, he or she is coming soon.

I just want to know, did you connect an earth conductor to the circuit? Is it the correct size? Is the sheath of the swa earthed? Is polarity correct? And are you 100% sure that it is safe to use and will stand the test of time?

If not, regardless of whether or not it is illegal, I would highly recommend you get a qualified electrician to test it for you.

For once I will not get into the debate about legality. What I will say is that every alteration will have an effect on your total demand, suitable care should be taken to assertain what you needs are, and the best way to do this. Every electrician would test the work they carry out, so they can provide proof that what they did is safe. Whilst Part P of the building regulations is an English requirement BS 7671 is national and as such has no boundries, one of the requirements of this is that every alteration, addition and new installations should be tested prior to energise to comply with the regulations. If your asking the question then I can assume your having doubts about what you have done? This would be confirmed by an electrician via a completed electrical installation certificate, and would have given you some comfort.

Electricians that carry out this work often are obliged by membership of a governing body to give a warranty which protects you against bad workmanship and or any faults by bad design.

Hi

Thanks for ur advise gents, I live in Scotland.

I earthed one of the cores of the 6mm2 swa to the CU and ran it to the new db as earth, I also cut the swa armour to the correct length for the glands at both ends of the cable and earthed both glands to earth one at the CU and one at the new DB using 6mm2 earth wire, crimps and brass nuts and bolts.

Yeah it does concern me, I did the job a couple of months ago but after watching a tv programme recently it has given me the willies!

HiI have installed a new power supply into my garage which is seperate from my house.

Thanks for ur advise gents, I live in Scotland.

I earthed one of the cores of the 6mm2 swa to the CU and ran it to the new db as earth, I also cut the swa armour to the correct length for the glands at both ends of the cable and earthed both glands to earth one at the CU and one at the new DB using 6mm2 earth wire, crimps and brass nuts and bolts.
The bit in bold concerns me. "by linking a single core 6mm cable from the last mcb on the socket circuit to the new mcb." Please explain what that means.

I'm hoping it just means the busbar wasn't long enough, so when you placed the new MCB into the CU, it had no busbar connection into the bottom, so you made a short jumper wire out of 6mm?

As you are in Scotland, you have not broken the law. We don't have part P up here. You just need to be competent.

What I would suggest, is that you pay a local electrician to to a PIR (periodic inspection) of just the garage wiring. It won't take him long and shouldn't cost much, but in doing that he will check how it's wired, and test the installation making all the required measurements to ensure it is safe. He will then issue an "Electrical Installation Condition Report" which will show all the test readings he has made, ane either say it's all fine, or recommend what alterations are needed to make it fine.

Where abouts are you? perhaps one of us on the forum is close enough to do that?

Have I said a word???????? :C
No, has the cat got your tongue today Steps? Erm... not to say that your views and comments arent appreciatted though ;)

Not yet, but I think by the OPs post he has got a greater concern about the general condition than warrants simply the earthing system.

He seems to think he has it earthed (albeit possibly dangerously), but at least he has asked for furhter advice on how it should be done,

the best advice in this situation I think has already been given in that he should get a competent electrician in to check it.

Hi Gents

Yes there was no more busbar so I linked from the last mcb to the new supply using a 6mm link.

Meant to say live near lesmahagow in south lanarkshire, how much would it cost to get inspected?

Also why is exporting an earth cable from the houses cu to an outbuilding dangerous? Does it depend on the type of system? Im sure its a t-ns ie seprate neutral and earth

Thanks again for ur advice, for your info I have done the 17th edition city and guilds course but im not a qualified electrician and dont ever get involved in domestic electrical work. Im also booked in to do the city and guilds inspection and testing 5 day course to help increase my electrical knowledge.

My main electrical exerience is industrial panel wiring.

Thanks again for your advice

Hi haggis, if you are concerned about your install and would like some on site assistance and testing for peace of mind. I live in livingston, 45 mins drive, and would come through to help you out, some, but fair cost involved. P.M. me if you like.

I live in London & if you want to pay my air fare + expenses i would be happy to have a look
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

we are still all waiting for the invite to ProDave's Burns night party,

I think He's holding off til KME does him a better price on the supply of the PV kit, then he will have us all fit it for free when we are up there in banjo country! :slap