DIY Newbie... why is my invertor screaming šŸ˜±

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

321pink

Reaction score
I have set up a very basic mini solar system at home. 1 panel, basic inverter and leisure battery. Been using the system for over a year. My invertor is now screaming as soon as I turn it on, nothing is connected to draw from it, the battery has charge. (Tried changing it to a different one also) When I turn it on, the fan is instantly coming on and makes a large draw, goes up and down for a few seconds then stabilises ok but still screams. Any suggestions greatly appreciated please

What sort of inverter and battery do you have? without knowing any details my instinctive response is that either your inverter or battery is f*cked, panels don't fail very often, Lead acid batteries don't like deep discharge and if you have been cycling it a lot it may have reached end of life.

What sort of inverter and battery do you have? without knowing any details my instinctive response is that either your inverter or battery is f*cked, panels don't fail very often, Lead acid batteries don't like deep discharge and if you have been cycling it a lot it may have reached end of life.
Its just a cheap invertor off amazon, xuyuan. Was purchased for an off grid system to run lights at a equine yard but I never installed it. The battery is a standard leisure battery, tried it on a car battery also but same outcome. I'm now charging a yuasa leisure battery to see if that'll get it working but I'm thinking the inverter fan maybe damaged as it doesn't normally kick in instantly, only when they're is a large draw.
I did forget to turn the system off when I was away for the night so it run out of battery and was probably screaming about 15hrs before I returned to turn it off, maybe this ******** the inverter fan? It was working fine before this

Dried-out bearings on the fan would scream.
If the inverter is really "off-grid" with no mains reference, then shouldn't the Battery Management System (BMS) have shut the inverter off when the battery "ran out" ?

If the inverter is really "off-grid" with no mains reference, then shouldn't the Battery Management System (BMS) have shut the inverter off when the battery "ran out" ?
I don't have a BMS, I shall look into this though. Thank you

They would but I suspect this may be not the case from the OPs comments.

Most decent inverters would have low voltage cut off, unlikely to have a BMS as such. This sounds like a real cheap and nasty inverter most likely with MSW output. Probably best to replace it with a half decent one, if itā€™s only for lighting, just get an MPPT controller to charge the battery and use 12v lighting.

Or just dust build up on the fan blades .