DNO Cut-Out location - regulations / guidance?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timotei

Reaction score
Good Morning All.

Customers moved into new (to them) bungalow. I undertook an EICR at the last minute, the installation is a bit of a disaster, but that is not the focus of my post.

The Cut-Out was replaced by National Grid on 23 July 2024 when the previous owner reported that the old one was damaged.

The cut out is in the kitchen, in a kitchen cupboard, attached (via board) to the rear panel of the cupboard, and not to "the fabric of the building" (see attached pics, but might be best to be sitting down when you do...I did say the installation was a disaster!).

Unsurpisingly the new owners are planning to remove the old kitchen and install a new one, and this would include the cabinet to which the CO is fixed....but this would involve having to relocate CO / metering equipment etc.

Surely it cannot be right for the CO to be fixed here?...but I can find nothing which would specifically prohibit it.

I am also less than impressed (bearing in mind I have always found NGs work to be of such a high standard previously) by the excess unclipped / unsupported cable they have left on the incomer, just waiting to be caught on something being removed from the cupboard (I have obviously told the customer to keep out of this cupboard until some of the other issues in there can be resolved).....unless the installer left the excess because they too thought this would need relocating, the excess leaving enough flexibility to affix the CO on the external wall to the right of pic?

I feel that NG should take responsibility for this and relocate at their expense (I know what you are thinking!) as, at the very least, this is surely very poor practice which they should have raised / addressed when replacing the CO so recently.

Do any wiser heads have anything more concrete I could use to support this, e.g. codes / guidelines / regs etc for DNOs?....as mentioned earlier I have not found anything definite in my searches.

Thanks.

Timotei

Edit - to correct spelling.

Attachments

• IMG_2304.JPEG
    IMG_2304.JPEG
    1.1 MB
  • IMG_2305.JPEG
    IMG_2305.JPEG
    1.6 MB
Not that unusual in older property. Worst place I've found CO is an upstairs back bedroom. It does look like whoever fitted the kitchen might have moved the equipment, or the kitchen was fitted first, we shall never know the answer to that.

I can't think of anything you could throw at DNO to get it moved for free.

Not that unusual in older property. Worst place I've found CO is an upstairs back bedroom. It does look like whoever fitted the kitchen might have moved the equipment, or the kitchen was fitted first, we shall never know the answer to that.

I can't think of anything you could throw at DNO to get it moved for free.
Yep, seen them in some odd places, including a bedroom too, but always on "the fabric of the building".

I know the chances of getting it moved for free are slightly less than zero....but it irks me to see such (IMO) poor practice and for the customers (both retired) to then be expected to foot a (very) substantial bill to correct it.

As you say, possibly it was moved by kitchen installer many moons ago...but then I would have expected NG to flag this up when replacing the CO back in July....

Oh well, I can but try...