Do You Require RCD in RCBO populated CU

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Londonguy

Reaction score
Hello, need help , just finished doing and extension, had to do wiring and after finishing the work, I was told that when a new wiring , the lighting , ring main and the cooker circuit, you need and RCD protection, even if the circuits are protected by RCBOs.

Need help do I need RCD protection even all the circuits have RCBOs.

New wiring will require an electrical certificate, if it is not you testing & issuing the certificate then its probably best to get in touch with the person who is signing the certificate to say it is compliant with current regulations, as it will be their name on the document. 

Doc H. 

Hello, need help , just finished doing and extension, had to do wiring and after finishing the work, I was told that when a new wiring , the lighting , ring main and the cooker circuit, you need and RCD protection, even if the circuits are protected by RCBOs.

Need help do I need RCD protection even all the circuits have RCBOs.

Are you a spark or diyer?

sounds like somebody doesn’t know what they are talking about

I used to be electrician but been out of the game for a while, but been keeping up with the regs but , I was told by the person who is giving the certificate that the circuits have to to be protected by RCD, as I know if you are using RCBOs , you do not need to use RCD , as RCBO does the job.

But the guy who is going to give the certificate wants RCD to protect the RCBOs circuits.

Thank you really  appreciate  your help, I will have to find another electrician who issues certificate.