dodgy stuff on ebay

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't suppose you know if he's got anything by Brian scadden??

Don't suppose you know if he's got anything by Brian scadden??
he has actually,

anyone want to tell Brian he is being ripped off?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:04 ----------

I dont do ebay,

but Im pretty sure there is a copyright issue there somewhere.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 00:09 ---------- Previous post was made at 00:05 ----------

I have absolutely no idea of the price of some of those books he is selling,

but, the advert states he has sold 25 already, (and that is only on that advert alone)

so that equates to

Just wrapping up this weeks sales, thought steps might be linking to my page! :eek:

Regs book and various other sparks literature on a PDF file he's copied. Not legal surely.

the page has gone. Care to tell us what he was selling?
green regs +amd1

GN3 OSG and a load of other books all ripped onto a CD,

he had already sold 25 of these on that advert alone, gawd only knows how many in total he had sold, @

I bought a CD years ago when I was an apprentice. I imagine that it infringed copyright in many ways as along with other stuff, logo's for all the scam's were on there, certificates, estimating software, all the building regs to name just a few. Think I paid a fiver! It was very handy at times but back then I just assumed that if it was on fleabay then it was legit. Of course, that isn't the case at all. The fleabay police just don't care - they spend most of their time trying to stop the bigger counterfeit stuff that the authorities insist they root out.

Hi all,

Problem for the seller is, if you infringe someones copyright or patent, they are able to go to court to recover the money that they would have earned, if you had bought the proper item from them, instead of the copied one.. If the IEE find out, there will be one very sorry seller indeed.......

john

Hi all,Problem for the seller is, if you infringe someones copyright or patent, they are able to go to court to recover the money that they would have earned, if you had bought the proper item from them, instead of the copied one.. If the IEE find out, there will be one very sorry seller indeed.......

john
I don't think anyone who matters really gives a hoot otherwise these sellers would have been stopped years ago. Maybe they just accept it as one of those things that happens in the world of publishing.

I don't know Steps, plagarism is rife and contrary to what we all think, authors in education don't make a fantastic living - maybe the funds just aren't there to combat these individuals.

Hi Steps,

I am not 100% sure. I believe however that the "owner" whose copyright or whatever has been infringed, is able to take action to recover the "profit" on each sale that they have been deemed to have lost as a result of you having sold a "counterfeit" item instead. So, these IEE publications costing what they do, i would think that Mr Ebay seller is going to have a big fright coming... I have an idea that you can be fined on TOP of this, for EACH item that you have produced too..

Trading standards may well be interested, as, although they are normally completely useless, and will NEVER take on a big concern that can "bite back", here is a chance for them to take on a little guy....

The IEE will take a VERY hard line on this one i suspect though, and quite right too..

I know how i would feel if i "invented" something, and then found that someone was copying them and putting them on ebay.....

Has this bloke copied Mr Scaddens books too??? I imagine that the publishers will not be too impressed..All in all, i think this guy is in BIG trouble.

Can you imagine what would happen if you set up a "bogus" McDonalds.....

No sympathy though, like how stupid do you have to be to try this anyway.

Right, now, if i can just get this stupid MOT certificate making machine to work, and then i am off to bed!!!!

john...

Back when the 16th first came out, I knew of a PDF going around, of the scanned book.

Turned out to be a lecturer at the local college - THAT was on fleabay at the time, too - almost cost him his job; except that no-one ever proved that it was him :slap

Even though everyone knew..............

Wonder if he is still supplementing his income?