Does my price look OK

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand where you are comming from. I have just quoted for a distribution of supply to a new commercial building, done the calcs and measurements.I priced up the materials and hit them with my quote.

Another electrician (I use the word loosly) quoted for less than the material costs.

So he has probably stolen the equipment and is making huge profit, or he is going to wire it like a 3 storey house in 2.5mm cable.
Or tell them he needs cost of materials up front and then runs off with the money.

I understand what your saying about what you need to earn but also it is about what the market will stand. Plus in my area there is a lot of eastern block competition also making things difficult.
What the market will stand has to also encompass earning enough to cover your costs....

If you don't cover your costs... you are working at a loss!

And any business can only work at a loss for a limited time period before you will be out of business anyway!

Everyone doesn't always go for the cheapest option...

Quality - vs - cost comes into it with most purchases...

and I would hope your work is of a much higher standard than some of the cheaper competitors?

Don't go fooling yourself you are comparing like-4-like...

these are maybe the points you need to put forward more when selling yourself to your customer...

I guess its the salesman bit.. Not the Electrician bit you need to work on!

the old phrase 'A good salesman can sell sand to the Arabs and Ice-cream to Eskimo's!' is very true...

and its when times get a bit tough that the good salesmen get their sales.

anyone can sell stuff when the markets are all booming!

but again at the end of the day your choice,

Hope it comes out good for you m8;)

SL

Guinness

price looks a bit rich to me, a grand for materials so you are looking at nearly 3 grand profit for a couple of days work, maybe a weeks work if you spin it out, no wonder you cant get no work mate.
Price seemed reasonable to me as lads have posted a lot depends on other factors not just materials

I would'nt mind you explaining how you break it down to a grand!! :eek:

Price seemed reasonable to me as lads have posted a lot depends on other factors not just materialsI would'nt mind you explaining how you break it down to a grand!! :eek:
I think you will find his user name describes him well. He has obviously not read thread and is probably from another forum. The storage heaters could well be well over a thousand pounds even cheap ones.

I think you will find his user name describes him well. He has obviously not read thread and is probably from another forum. The storage heaters could well be well over a thousand pounds even cheap ones.
My thinking as well but just wanted to see if he could justify what was just another negative post. Sure there are other places were unhelpful posts as that are welcome.