Dol starter switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.cameron

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I havent played with a DOL starter since college 4-5yrs ago so im a bit unfamiliar with them. Today i install one at an armourie, for their extractor motor on a spray booth. They had taken it out of other workshop some time ago after the motor blew. new motor on in now in new location and asked me to wire up old DOL starter. its a 230v 7.1A 1.1kw motor, the DOL is a lovato BF12.10 coil wired for 230v with thermal overload RF25

All looks wired correctly yet when I push the green start button it just buzzes like its trying to pull the contacts together but hasn't got the power to. works fine if I push the contact in manually after removing cover. stop button works fine of course.

Duff start button i think but just want to check im not missing something

Cheers

Does the coil hold in after pressing in the contactor manually?

You mention spray booth, these Lovato units are not normally suitable for Ex areas?

Is this an Ex area, are you covered for Ex areas if it is?

Yeah holds in fine manually. its a small stand alone booth for spraying helmets and sheilds. extractor is built into roof of booth. what level of cover do u need for that?

Yeah holds in fine manually. its a small stand alone booth for spraying helmets and sheilds. extractor is built into roof of booth. what level of cover do u need for that?
if you have to ask, then i very much doubt your qualified enough for it

I got my level 3 and 2391 I&T is that not enough. we were shown how to wire them in college like i said earlier its been since then i've played with one. Usually domestic or shop fitting

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:53 ----------

And it was the one that was in use on booth before last motor packed up. new motor is same rating as old

I got my level 3 and 2391 I&T is that not enough. we were shown how to wire them in college like i said earlier its been since then i've played with one. Usually domestic or shop fitting
explosive areas require different qualifications, and different insurance requirements (your PLI probably states explosive areas not covered)

but thats assuming its in the explosive area

if its control & motor etc is elsewhere, then not such an issue

You need confirmation from the client that it is not an Explosive (Ex) atmosphere.

We cannot classify, they must.

I would get it in writing though.

IF they only spray water based then not an issue, if there are solvents then it could be.

For Explosive (Ex) areas you need COMPEX and suitable insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check contactor coil voltage on contactor.

Check connections throughout circuit.

Measure voltage at each side of start pb.

Is this a clip on NO contact on the side of the contactor?

Latest posts