Domestic Connection - how many kVA for car charger?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as an apprentice i wired a garage which had abrand new supply taken off the supply to the street lighting lamppost next to it via a big ugly joint.

For info, studies are showing that most owners of EV's typically charge their EV's with around 80% capacity still left - so only top up overnight, around two hours max

Other points from the Birmingham Study and others:

Around 90% of all journeys are under 7 miles in length

70% of people drive less than 63 miles per week

Domestic EV chargers are designed only to trickle charge, you do not need a 3phase supply. The fast chargers - full charge in 30-60mins will be locallly available in most towns and motorway stations.

Some supermarkets are considering adding Free top up machines in their car parks for customer use.

You can charge via a 13A outlet but it is not recomended and may well be outlawed in this country.

A charger can be fitted for around

give me the smell of 2stroke anyday,

thats whats wrong with todays youth, we didnt need drugs, we had 2stroke melting our brain cells,

maybe thats whats wrong with me...........

Hi All,

I just did two.. Both three phase. i cannot see that it would be much more expensive than single as it is very little extra work, just a more expensive cable basically...

If you need three phase it must be one hell of a charger......

Anyway;

1, 25 meters of service cable, plus free meter box, plus free 25 metres of 4" ducting for the cable. They obviously had to dig up the pavement and put it all back, the rest of the trench was on my property so i did it myself. Cost about

Hi Again,

Out of interest, here is a link to WPD's "price list" including examples

http://westernpowerdistribution.co.uk/getdoc/5c62acdd-43b8-456b-917d-2befabc61d0d/Connections-South-Wales-Apr-2011-(1).aspx

The bit on page 33 will be the most relevant to most people, but it is all interesting.

I have an idea that ALL DNO's have by law to publish a price list indicating how they arrive at their quote, but even so, most of it depends on luck and the person dealing with you. If they like you, cheap, if they do not, expensive...

john...

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:15 ----------

Oh, forgot to say, have a look at the "construction" bit on page 80 onwards, this sets out the minimum and maximum charges for just about all "normal" work. You will all find this very interesting...

john....