Been asked to advise on KVA for new domestic connection.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acp

Reaction score
Hello!

In the process of starting building a house, with 3 phase power available on the plot. Initially will need a site supply and then connecting the 3 phase to the new house. The network have asked us to advise on what KVA we will need for the finished property, and I have no idea where to start. The house is a large 6 bed property, with solar panels, ground source heat and storage batteries in the garage. Additionally, we are looking to have 3 fast car chargers connected.
If someone could point me in the right direction of an estimate on KVA?

Hello!

In the process of starting building a house, with 3 phase power available on the plot. Initially will need a site supply and then connecting the 3 phase to the new house. The network have asked us to advise on what KVA we will need for the finished property, and I have no idea where to start. The house is a large 6 bed property, with solar panels, ground source heat and storage batteries in the garage. Additionally, we are looking to have 3 fast car chargers connected.
If someone could point me in the right direction of an estimate on KVA?
All depends on what you mean by "fast" chargers.. Doubt there is any diversity with them either..

john..

I'd tell them 69kva as a starting point but be prepared to compromise downwards if it came to it.

69kva is equal to 100A TP which you would generally find in small industrial and commericial units, anything more and you are into CT metering which is beyond what you need. You wouldn't actually need 69kva, but it is a standard of sort, so I'd go for that, and if they say its not happening, or it'll cost three arms and six legs, come back and look at the loading more accuratly and spec networked EV chargers that will limit the combined draw when all in use and revise downwards if need be