Domestic Smoke Alarms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering ............ Many makes of domestic interlinked smokes can have a hush/reset wall switch added. Lets take Aico as its my detector of choice, The wall switch either wired or wireless is connected the same as a detector. The interlink wire carries between 8 to12 v (depending on the make) so how does the hush work & how does it find the   activated detector ?

Well i have just fitted some along with 3 wireless bases and 3 break glasses, 7 smokes and1 heat.

The detectors were the 160 series with the 10 year batteries, but the test hush locate switch was wireless. Locate silenced all the detectors apart from the one that made the call....if that makes sense?

All done on the excellent advice from Aico Tech Dept

Other than that I am less help than,......well, you can guess the rest

Just saying

Many makes of domestic interlinked smokes can have a hush/reset wall switch added.
Actually, that is not true. Its only very few makes, and even then, the model has to be compatible.

so how does the hush work & how does it find the   activated detector ?
It doesn't.

When the "external" hush button is operated, it tells all the detectors to "hush" What happens next depends on make of smoke detector.

Some, all the detectors will "hush" except the one that initiated the alarm in the first place.

Others, will silence all the detectors, and the one that initiated the alarm in the first place has a LED flashing (At a different rate than normal)

I found a video of the kidde hush button

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pQxle0Bty1Q?feature=oembed

Thanks for your replies, but they dont answer my question of how it works. Is it shorting the interlink to N or reversing polarity or possibly AC to DC, that  i would like to know.
Not wishing to be pedantic about it, but that is not what you first asked, however give me a few days and I will see what I can find out

Just wondering ............ Many makes of domestic interlinked smokes can have a hush/reset wall switch added. Lets take Aico as its my detector of choice, The wall switch either wired or wireless is connected the same as a detector. The interlink wire carries between 8 to12 v (depending on the make) so how does the hush work & how does it find the   activated detector ?

Thanks for your replies, but they dont answer my question of how it works. Is it shorting the interlink to N or reversing polarity or possibly AC to DC, that  i would like to know.

Not wishing to be pedantic about it, but that is not what you first asked, however give me a few days and I will see what I can find out

Being pedantic......

I think the HOW it works is the exact first part of the the question that was asked....???

Unless someone has edited the original question..???

:innocent

Guinness

Logic gates?

:facepalm:
A logic gate is an idealized or physical device implementing a Boolean function, that is, it performs a logical operation on one or more logical inputs, and produces a single logical output. Depending on the context, the term may refer to an ideal logic gate, one that has for instance zero rise time and unlimited fan-out, or it may refer to a non-ideal physical device[1] (see Ideal and real op-amps for comparison).

Logic gates are primarily implemented using diodes or transistors acting as electronic switches, but can also be constructed using electromagnetic relays (relay logic), fluidic logic, pneumatic logic, optics, molecules, or even mechanical elements. With amplification, logic gates can be cascaded in the same way that Boolean functions can be composed, allowing the construction of a physical model of all of Boolean logic, and therefore, all of the algorithms and mathematics that can be described with Boolean logic.

Logic circuits include such devices as multiplexers, registers, arithmetic logic units (ALUs), and computer memory, all the way up through complete microprocessors, which may contain more than 100 million gates. In practice, the gates are made from field-effect transistors (FETs), particularly MOSFETs (metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistors).

Compound logic gates AND-OR-Invert (AOI) and OR-AND-Invert (OAI) are often employed in circuit design because their construction using MOSFETs is simpler and more efficient than the sum of the individual gates.[2]

In reversible logic, Toffoli gates are used.

I havent a clue what any of that means as i am just a stupid electrician, but it does not appear to be the system used in a domestic smoke detector.

I have to say, despite searching and a few emails to the various makers I have so far been unable to find out how "wired silence buttons" work. It seems either no one knows or they just don't want to say.
Thanks for trying. Next time i am fitting one i think i will get the multimeter out and have a poke around.