domestic smoke positioning?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnymac

Reaction score
Hi there can anyone tell me of the top of their heads if domestic (240v) type smoke detectors can be wall mounted?? as i have install some in an extension which has no ceiling just fancy oak beams and the customer doesnt want me to mount them to them.

Depends on the model. You need to check that its suitable for wall mounting.

There are some guidelines somewhere about distances from corners, opening windows etc. Also assuming you do have detectors suitable for wall mounting you may need additional detectors on other walls as well.

Doc H.

I thought they had to be on the ceiling, as by the time thee smoke reaches them on the wall the room would be quite full of smoke.

im almost certain they can only be on the ceiling, also aico ones can be installed on a coomb..... dont know about other makes as i only use aico

There are some guidelines somewhere about distances from corners, opening windows etc. Also assuming you do have detectors suitable for wall mounting you may need additional detectors on other walls as well.Doc H.
I found the copies of the positioning guidelines, so have added them onto our download section. As Sparky & Septiclec suggest, it looks like walls are not permitted. I think this information is also in Approved Document B, I called the files smoke positions 1 & 2.

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/downloads.php?do=cat&id=65

Doc H.

Hi there can anyone tell me of the top of their heads yes if domestic (240v) type smoke detectors can be wall mounted?? NO as i have install some in an extension which has no ceiling just fancy oak beams and the customer doesnt want me to mount them to them.
Provided the depth of the beams in the ceiling is less than 10% the height from floor to ceiling, then mount the smokes to the ceiling between the beams. If the room is large, consider fitting two alarms.

Latest posts