Don't you love how part P works????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week I was called to quote on a garage power job. Walked in and the chap said he had an electrician working at his house for weeks. He was paying him

A perfect example as to why part P will never work the way it was intended.

I suspect any sparks on this forum will at one time or another have or will experience this sort of thing.

We can't really blame the customer can we. After all, he has been told by a "fully qualified" electrician that he has the latest equipment installed and you have to agree, it would definitely look better than the old wired board.

I have my own opinion about purchasing a new CU but I will not spoil this thread.

And it goes on but it's a typical scenario of you giving sound advice because of the regs that we have to work to and the client thought that you was about to rip him off. I hope that when he gets electricians round to offer a qoute for work needed that they all stick to their guns.. Other wise it really would be a mockery!!

I would like to think that any sparks going round would more or less echo what I said, however - we all know that there are lots of sparks out there that will do anything for a bunch of

I would like to think that any sparks going round would more or less echo what I said, however - we all know that there are lots of sparks out there that will do anything for a bunch of

Yes, it makes me feel physically sick to turn work away, especially as my business is still so young. However, when I joined the NIC I feel I subscribed to a 'code of practice' that embodies part p and consequently I feel it important to uphold the values of Part P where able to do so (until such time that we can all work from the same book!).

good post cirrus, i would like to think that any electrician would walk away from a job that would not comply with part p etc. However i know this is not the case, i personally know of a company in my area who are registered with elecsa, who is doing all sorts of things which is not correct, just simply because someone offers him a handfull of cash.

There are hidden problems when we walk away refusing to do a job.

The customer will never relate the correct story to other people so when asked if they know of a Sparks they will often say "well don't use this one he didn't even know how do do my job" or other such story equally incorrect.

We will never know how many other jobs we have lost because we do things properly but any Sparks who stands by his morals like you have, I admire.

The tread title is misleading.

Your tale has very little to do with part P, and everything to do with how he employed a cowboy sparks who knows very little about wiring regs and good practice.

It would have been exactly the same up here in Scotland where we don't have Part P, but wiring regs still apply.

Regardless of Part P or not though, you were right to walk away, but you walked away because the customer was not prepared to pay for the work to be done to current wiring regs, not because of a part P issue, though no doubt Part P will raise it's head when he asks building control for a completion certificate for the conversion.

I'm sure we have all lost jobs because we have explained the work needed to comply with wiring regs. One wonders how and by who those jobs are done in the end.

Cirrus,

Don't lower yourself to their level. What goes around comes around - should any of their cut corners cause a fire or worse, they stand to loose everything. Though in reality they'll probably fumble around unnoticed until they find something more lucrative or interesting.

Don't you think the industry (Scheme providers, Government, even the DIY sheds) could do more to educate the public, especially with regards to RCD protection and bonding. I've lost or walked away from numerous jobs where customer simply wants a high level socket in the bedroom for their new LCD TV.

When I explain they have no RCD protection, so cables have to go surface mount with specifically labelled socket, or RCD spur or new CU, they either think you don't know what your doing or are taking them for a ride.

But how should they know, as they could still pick up a 16th edition CU from any of the DIY sheds, take it home and rewire their own house in bell wire if they wanted to.

There are hidden problems when we walk away refusing to do a job.The customer will never relate the correct story to other people so when asked if they know of a Sparks they will often say "well don't use this one he didn't even know how do do my job" or other such story equally incorrect.

We will never know how many other jobs we have lost because we do things properly but any Sparks who stands by his morals like you have, I admire.
Spot on. Its not as easy to build a good reputation as people think, just going by the book won't do because of characters like this customer. Sadly, these are also the type of people who mouth off to anyone in earshot about 'conmen' etc.

The tread title is misleading.Your tale has very little to do with part P, and everything to do with how he employed a cowboy sparks who knows very little about wiring regs and good practice.

It would have been exactly the same up here in Scotland where we don't have Part P, but wiring regs still apply.

Regardless of Part P or not though, you were right to walk away, but you walked away because the customer was not prepared to pay for the work to be done to current wiring regs, not because of a part P issue, though no doubt Part P will raise it's head when he asks building control for a completion certificate for the conversion.
But a major part of Part P is the fact that nobody apart from those in construction actually know about it. Joe public generally doesn't have a clue what Part P is and why they should adhere to it as well as the contractors working in their property. In my mind a lot more needs to be done to educate the public.

i have been working were plumber has put in new boiler, gas connection to dule fule range both lpg, patio doors, load of tileing, stud wall and i think the extension.

non of it looks to clever

i think he did a cu change also might not have been him but he did not terminate the cooker cpc and this was in the cooker switch

the guy wanted some extra sockets and a few bits, when i was ther the plummber was wiring what looked like a dasi chain of spurs, no cpc sleaving.

thought to my self new circuit for my work i think.

i doubt he is gas safe and def not nic ect and def not fensa.

plenty of work on though

neutrel.jpg

There are hidden problems when we walk away refusing to do a job.The customer will never relate the correct story to other people so when asked if they know of a Sparks they will often say "well don't use this one he didn't even know how do do my job" or other such story equally incorrect.

What I would do (and have previously done in this situation), is to write a follow-up letter from my visit, explaining my concerns in writing. State on the letter that you have sent duplicates to BRCS and your scheme provider, and stating your capabilites and professional status very strongly.

It may not get you the work (although that HAS happened in the past), but it does provide proof that you have expunged your "duty of care" to the householder as best you could under the circumstances.

KME

Not being a sparks, do I assume that this could bite him in the bum if he ever sold the house or affect his insurance in the event of a fire?

I always make sure I explain thoroughly why an rcd is needed or why something is wrong. I then explain the options i have to rectify and there is no devasion from these. I explain it can't be done any other way. I also mentuon the electrical safety council for them to seek advice.

Walking away is never a problem for me, I keep my morals, they keep their dodgy electrics and are always chasing the problems.

You can always use 'if your kids die, i'll be going to jail.'

i am fully qualified and work for a company and so never do any private work which i would have to certify etc due to part p. so i always reccomend my mate who is registered to one of the scams. only electrical work i do is for friends, just basic stuff, like for like etc. even though im not registered or my own company i can understand how it annoys you all and it would annoy me the same, how unqualified unregistered people are doing all types of electrical work for people.

is there any way they can make part p work?

yeah, 1 governing body, lots of advertising. and you have to be a member to do any electrical work.

Bit like gas safe!

I turned up at a customers house with a plumber the other day, before we set foot in the door, she asked 'can I see your gas safe card please' then she turned to me and said 'I'm not sure what I should ask you for' says it all really. One trade heavily regulated, the other bit of a mickey mouse system.

As it happens, I showed her my JIB card and Elecsa card.