Don't you love how part P works????

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one governing body, lots of advertising sounds like it could work. but then heavy fines would be needed for anyone caught doing electrical work who is not registered. then obviously cards like the corgi lads have to prove your electrical registration and competance

do you think you should be registered to do all electrical work, or just as it is now?

it should go on each business, like an NIC QS.

If it mirrored the gas safe scheme I think we would be in a lot better position, and personally I don't see why whoever dreamt it up didn't take such a decent template on board??

Think how much safer peoples houses would be if we had the authority to condem and lock off unsafe circuits, until a 'electricity safe contractor' rectifies the work.

Does anyone think that if all consumer units were serial numbered and could only be sold to a Sparks who can prove he is a member of a governing body then the seller was required to give the information to the governing body just like they do now with TV's.

The Sparks should then report as to where the CU was installed. If it is not reported within a time limit then the governing body would ask why.

This could then be followed up by the governing body asking the address of the installation for information along the lines of "who installed it".

I know it is extra control but just perhaps this sort of idea could achieve two things.

1. Make governing bodies earn their keep and not just take our money let them "GOVERN"

2. Control the one major item which does require Part P with the CU serial number being on the certificate.

Just an idea that's all so don't come in heavy I am open to discussion as I am sure many others will be. :C

do any of you see part p eventually being run from one governing body or staying as it is now?

OOPs sorry if this post is out of sync!

Hi Cirrus "The bringer of bad news" is never going to be welcomed with open arms, unless the customer has got the brains and intellect to WANT TO understand what you are telling them.

Unfortunately my experience has shown that even if another sparky tells them exactly the same thing as what you have done, then you aint going to get any thanks for your advice or work from said customer, unless the new sparky FXCks up as well and the customer feels a bit desperate and has to bite lip and call you back out. However, myself I would feel very unsure if I would work for someone who had really pxeed me off!

Bwy,

Why should a consumer unit have to be recorded if I purchase it to replace the single phase unit in my factory office.

This does not come under Part P.

So unless there is another change in the legislation then this cannot work in such basic terms?

I think someone with good writting skills should start a petition to get part p scrapped in favor of a better scheme.

Further; you must remember that Joe Bloggs can do any / all the `leccy work in his house, regardless of competency (as he can with his gas). Civil liberties / human rights / your home is your castle (delete as you think fit) has ballcocked just about ANY serious legislation from being effective. (IMO)

Quite KME, forgot that one.

Anyone can do their own gas work as long as they are competent to do so, same as leccie!

I had that confirmed personally after a question posed directly to GasSafe.

i know anyone can really do basic electrical things, but i think no one but registered competant people should be allowed to do any electrical or gas works. electrical and gas can kill. thats a defining point right there for me.

Unfortunately more regulation, as the NZ and Oz models have shown, actually leads to a greater number of injuries and fatalaties.

Further; you must remember that Joe Bloggs can do any / all the `leccy work in his house, regardless of competency (as he can with his gas). Civil liberties / human rights / your home is your castle (delete as you think fit) has ballcocked just about ANY serious legislation from being effective. (IMO)
He could not legally change his consumer unit or do other work that comes under part p without notifyimg council though.

Bwy,Why should a consumer unit have to be recorded if I purchase it to replace the single phase unit in my factory office.

This does not come under Part P.

So unless there is another change in the legislation then this cannot work in such basic terms?
Agreed it does not but I never said it should either. I threw it in for discussion to get opinions as I see it as one way of helping to put the "cowboys" out of commission and bringing the regs in line with Gas safe.

We all seem to agree that Part P is a failure and does not go far enough so I was hoping to read suggestions as to what other people think would help get our trade under a decent regulation or system of control.

You know, we seem to be very good at complaining but no so good at coming up with ideas as to how to improve things. :C