Double slot RCBO's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick question, as I've got all you guys attention 😁

Just going through some of the stuff I jave here and noticed something, if you can shed some light on it for me.

I have 2 dp rcbo's by 2 different manufacturers. One has the neutral to the right screw, the other has the neutral on the left screw... pic attached. This means i couldn't use a dual busbar if I want all of these connected next to eachother due to space limitation in the case, OR is it not a problem wiring these things either way around and the N stamp is merely a suggestion?

I know I can simply turn it upside down, and make the connection that way, but my OCD won't let me.
The problem now is you are getting into the realms of manufactures recommendations on installation, none of them will state that their products can be used in conjunction with another manufactures products.

Shame they do not show a internal circuit diagram to see if the neutral is short circuit activated or just dragged along with the phase.
From Ben

Let's imagine an MCB to BS60898 on a split load board. The MCB detects overload/ short circuit on the line conductor, the RCD will detect an imbalance of current between Line and Neutral. Our RCBO combines both of these functions, simply put. So the overload protection is solely on the line conductor. Whereas the current inbalance magnetic coil is monitoring both Line and Neutral conductors.
To protect the Neutral side only from overload/short circuit would be a contravention of BS7671, Protecting both Line and Neutral would only be required in a 3ph circuit where the Neutral conductor has a smaller cross sectional area.

In the instance of either a short circuit/ overload or fault to earth both poles will be disconnected from source, Hence being double pole.
So in essence you are both right in your discussion. I dont know of any instances with our wiring practices taken into account where further protection would be required.

You're welcome

Latest posts