Downlight and Kingspan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
What do you do??

Been on a job with new ceiling wanting downlights. Builder put 2inch kingspan insulation boards above plasterboard. So cut for downlights and then cut away the insulation board to give a gap for the downlight to disipate.

Whats this board like? It doesn;t look very flammable thank god. I hate downlighters.

i had a simliar situation were ther was loads of rock wool insulation above the celling, i pulled loads out to get the clearance.

i think batty has said snap light can go straight in to insulation

is clearance for downlights a real concern, i always stick to the specified distance, is that being to over cautious?

is clearance for downlights a real concern, i always stick to the specified distance, is that being to over cautious?
over cautious?

you obviously havent been to replace many downlights/wiring thats has insulation too close and cooker everything!

they are mini heaters - give them some space!

I did a job with kingspan in the extension roof space, I pre cut 150mm before the platerboard was fitted to accomodate the downlights. Then cut the 65mm holes for the downlights giving me adequate spacing but one hell of a headache measuring :)

i had a simliar situation were ther was loads of rock wool insulation above the celling, i pulled loads out to get the clearance.i think batty has said snap light can go straight in to insulation
They can as long as you use alutech lamps, dichroics put as much heat backwards as they do forwards.

They can as long as you use alutech lamps, dichroics put as much heat backwards as they do forwards.
But they often change these for standard gu10's

But they often change these for standard gu10's
You could give (sell) the customer say 20 spare lamps and tell them that they are not normal lamps if they use normal lamps then the lights would fail and need to be replaced and would cost loads......... Believe me they would understand this.

Then you can just keep supplying them to the customer..... Years of work sorted;)

Im always over cautious with downlights. I hate them. May cut some more back on tuesday!

Im always over cautious with downlights. I hate them. May cut some more back on tuesday!
I am with you on this. I hate them yet everyone appears to want them.

I am with you on this. I hate them yet everyone appears to want them.
Me too, won't have them in my house.

And they use so much energy, I think they should be banned. I've lost count of how many times i've removed a 58W flourescent from a kitchen and replaced it with 300W of downlighters.

And the green brigade are outlawing standard GLS bulbs, I think they should concentrate on inefficient downlighters instead.

by removing the insulation you have caused a cold spot around the fitting that may fail building regs

if the spots are fitted to a loft space then use boxes over the spot and lay the insulation over that.

if the are cut into a vaulted/dormer ceiling and the void is fitted with kingspan I would not remove the insulation but tell the customer of the problems and the cold spots it would produce and would be a none compliance to building regs

im sure jcc downlights say in the instructions that heat foward lamps must be used and clearances adhered to i dont think its one or other.

As for them creating failures in building regs, i have never experienced it and would argue manufactures instructions have to be followed.

Latest posts