Downlighters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took one fitting down, it was right next to joist which was seriously scorched. Fittings were not fire rated and did not have fire hoods either. batty
Its nothing to do with being fire rated - that's about stopping fires spreading through the downlighters into ceilings etc above, which still takes over 30 mins anyway. What you need is an F symbol in a triangle which means the fitting is suitable upto a stated wattage rating for fitment to a flammable surface. I think the symbols are in the new regs book somewhere, but can't be ****d to go out to the van and get it. On quite a few downlighters you see two symbols eg 35w for flammable surface, or 50w for non flammable surface. So save yourself a small fortune, use CFLs if you wish, (you can actually touch these when at operating temperature) but don't buy fire-rated downlights (or hoods) unless you are breaking into the fire compartment of an adjoining building or flat.

In with both feet again; why do they need to reduce the bulbs to 35 watt for dimmers?Also, talking of heat scorching, insulation covering etc. what is the position with fire covers (bungalow with accessible loft for the most part).

If a building with rooms above I can see the building regs require covers to protect the floor above etc. I have heard of people using china flower pots as heat guards, what the position here, seems like they would work, ...

but why are the proprietry heat covers so expensive, is it because you have to have them, dont believe the material is that expensive, just fire blanket material sewn into hats. Maybe a new business opportunity, to undercut the current suppliers.

B
15 x 50 watt 750 watts not many manufacturers make suitable dimmer for low voltage lamps of this size so reduce to 35 watt mk make 500watt/va dimmer.